. .

Search This Blog

Monday, October 1, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (final report)

Monday
Blood Pressure: 144/76
Resting Heart Rate: 47
Weight: 10st 5lbs
It's a familiar story - a weekend of beer, cake and pudding results in a three pound increase in weight.
I cycled in to work in the cold - my fingers started to go numb today, but it's still too early in the year for the ski gloves.
Unfortunately, I had to stay late at work which meant that, by the time I got home to make dinner for Lucy and myself, there was no time for exercise. I had a cup of tea and went to bed at 10:15pm.
No exercise, no junkfood, no alcohol

Tuesday
Blood Pressure: 150/76
Resting Heart Rate: 50
Weight: 10st 4lbs
I discussed my blood pressure with Lucy this morning. She doesn't seem that concerned about it, but I still intend to visit a doctor if I haven't got it under control by the end of November.
The cycle into work was another cold one. My hands were starting to go numb by the time I got to college. Maybe two pairs of gloves tomorrow?
The day at work was rather stressful - with plenty of chaos before the lessons had even started.
I was glad to get out of there today.
The cycle home was pleasant in the warm sunshine.
Tonight's Karate session had a slow start - lots of unfamiliar combinations up and down the hall, then some light target practice with an opponent. My opponent managed to cut my foot with his toenail. It was bleeding but I didn't notice until later on. The last ten minutes were definitely the best - Sensei Gary took over and got us hitting the pads. I managed to land some good hits with my roundhouse kick.
Martha and I headed home for masses of homemade bolognese with wholewheat pasta (after I cleaned my wound and applied some Savlon.)
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday
Blood Pressure: 138/69
Resting Heart Rate: 59
Weight: 10st 4lbs
I cycled in to work in much warmer weather. It was a high-stress, very busy day at college. I found myself having to work late again. I cycled home (via Sainsbury's) in the sunshine. I didn't have time for any weight training before making dinner for the family. I suppose I could have done some lifting once my dinner had gone down but I couldn't find the motivation.
No exercise, no junkfood, no alcohol

Thursday
Blood Pressure: 139/74
Resting Heart Rate: 56
Weight: 10st 2lbs
I cycled in to work. There's a wobble coming up from my 1974 Raleigh Carlton and it's getting worse. I now think it's the back wheel that's buckled or warped.
Today was another full-on day's teaching with plenty of drama (and paperwork.)
I cycled home in the sunshine and then, with much reluctance, set off on the first 10K run I've done for months. I actually thought to myself, "Why am I doing this?" The thought of running non-stop for over an hour made me feel quite sad, especially when I considered all the pleasant things I could be doing instead. Somehow, I found the motivation to go. I endured the pain and boredom and got round without stopping or walking. It took me 65 minutes and 48 seconds to stagger 10 kilometres.
At home, aching and breathless, I had a couple of beers with my dinner.
10K, no junkfood, 2 beers

Friday
Blood Pressure: 144/71
Resting Heart Rate: 56
Weight: 10st 3lbs
A severe sore throat woke me up at 3:30am. Lucy and the girls, as well as most people at work, have been suffering with a cold. The staffroom sounds like a doctor's waiting room. I've been feeling rather smug because I'd managed to avoid it - I'd attributed my continuing good health to fruit and exercise every day. However, I'm now suffering along with everyone else.
I tossed and turned until my alarm went off at 6:20am. After a Lemsip and a ride into work, the cold appeared to go away. I was very relieved and cycled home in a good mood.
Tonight's karate session was entirely kicks focused. We got to kick a pad which is very satisfying. Martha and I headed home with aching legs.
To my surprise - a surprise party! The girls had decided to celebrate my birthday a day early due to us having different things booked tomorrow - including two of them going to work. I was given some wonderful presents. My favourite was a Will Smith album from Hydro.
After pizza, beer and ice cream, my weight loss efforts for the week were well and truly over!
Lucy and I stayed up late watching Killing Eve.
Karate, junkfood, beer

Saturday
Blood Pressure: 133/73
Resting Heart Rate: 55
Weight: 10st 5lbs
With Jonnie away riding in France, Nigel and Russ came over for my birthday bicycle ride. We set off just after 9 and it was cold! We kept the pace high, I think we were just trying to get warm. However, I did think the pace was a bit too high...
We went along the High Cross route and the weather was beautiful: clear blue skies and brilliant sunshine in contrast with the cold air. Russ and Nigel hadn't met before but they were soon chatting away in the lanes. I love the way cycling brings folk together.


It was a lovely sunny day on my birthday, and we all wore black to celebrate.

At Wilmcote we were presented with a choice: chocolate cake or carrot cake! We all opted for carrot cake and we agreed that Jane had done a fantastic job! Nigel and I even had a second slice.
We headed back in the warming sunshine. I could feel the sun on my back and even peeled down my leg warmers in the last seven or eight miles.
Unfortunately, I was right about the pace and it had been a little high at the start of the ride. Nigel hasn't been riding much this year and his legs couldn't match his ambition on the way back to base. We rolled home at a leisurely pace and were glad to get back to my place after 35 miles to enjoy coffee and chats.
I opened even more presents including a cycling t shirt and some much needed degreaser for my bike!
In the afternoon, I went along to my favourite Karate session: the 3pm training lesson at the Village Hotel in Shirley. Sensei Gary was in charge and he wasted no time in drilling us in plenty of Kihon (basics) up and down the hall. He knew it was my birthday and he invited me up at the front with him to help work with some of the young people training hard. What an honour! He even put me in charge of the heavy bag for a while and I had a fantastic time doing my best to inspire the karateka to attack the bag with the techniques we'd been practising. For anyone looking to start Karate, the Saturday session is the best place for a first lesson. Book your place here.
In the evening, Lucy, Eric, Jane and I went to the Solihull Theatre to enjoy Dire Streets - a Dire Straits tribute band. As usual at the Solihull theatre, the performance was great and the service from the staff was excellent. A great evening out.
When we got home, Lucy and I sat up late with Mouse and her mates. Hydro was there too.
Karate, junkfood, beer.

Sunday
I woke up late (about 9) and didn't bother taking my blood pressure and stuff.
Lucy and I worked in the garden replanting a tree/bush. It was hard work and I was sweating buckets! Then I took the dogs for a walk in the sunshine.
I tried and failed to find the motivation to go training. I was slightly hungover and I still had this horrible cold. I ate cake and tidied my man cave instead.
In the evening, Lucy made a wonderful homemade pie for dinner and I drank some birthday beers.
No exercise, junkfood, beer

I'll be back in training tomorrow, and I'll show you and everyone else how to lose a belly when you're 44.

No comments:

Post a Comment