. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 18, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 18)

Monday
Lucy woke up in the small hours of the morning feeling terrible. She's obviously suffering from the horrible influenza going around. She had to take the day off work.
I had to use the car today, but when I got home I managed to do a heavy lifting session before making dinner for the family (apart from Lucy who couldn't face much and just wanted soup.)
No alcohol, no junkfood, weight training.

Tuesday
Lucy was no better so I had to drive the car again to take Mouse to school (the lazy sod.)
Back at home, there was no time for dojo so I made dinner and tried to make Lucy feel better. I did some weight training again tonight.
No alcohol, no junkfood, weight training.

Wednesday
I'm still having to drive because Lucy is really suffering with this influenza.
This afternoon at work I made a spur of the moment decision and joined in with a staff-only fitness training session in the sportshall. It was a proper HIIT session led by our ex-military gym instructor Mr Roger and featuring loads of medicine ball exercises over 45 minutes. I was red-faced and gasping by the end of it. A great session.
No alcohol, no junkfood, HIIT fitness training.

Thursday
Lucy still isn't feeling better so I had to drive yet again.
Back at home, I got myself ready for a 10K run. Unfortunately, I only managed about 100m before I had to give up! My back was aching terribly as soon as I started to run! I'm hoping it's just my body not being used to the intensive workout yesterday (I was doing medicine ball exercises that I'd never even seen before!)
I came home and was tempted to give up and crack a beer.
But I didn't.
So I sipped water and ate healthily like a good boy. I considered lifting some weights but thought it best to let my back rest.
No alcohol, no junkfood, no exercise.

Friday

Lucy isn't well. I drove the car to work (and forgot my lunch for the fifth day in a row.)
I was so very hungry at work - I even forgot to bring the bananas that I'd bought last night! One of the nice ladies at work offered me a biscuit  and that was the end of healthy eating for the day.
After work, I did a weights session and then accompanied Mouse on her couch to 5K run. She is determined to succeed and wanted to go out running in the dark tonight. I thought it was better if I went with her.
She walked for 5 minutes, then ran for 20, followed by 5 more of walking. She was very pleased with her progress and I'm very proud of her.
Back at home, I made dinner for all the family and then got stuck in to some beers!
Junkfoodweight trainingalcohol.

Saturday
I'm glad to report that Lucy is feeling better. Today, she managed to go out to sit in her greenhouse for a bit and even managed to go shopping (we live a few minutes walk from Tesco.) She came back from the shop with some chocolate for me because I've been a good boy!
Today, I took Martha to work, walked the dogs and then headed off to dojo. This afternoon's session was run by Sensei Jodi with help from Tony wearing his brand new black belt. I was asked to lead the warm up and I did a bit of a boring one. I'll have to make sure I have a warm up planned for next week just in case! The session was a series of beginner-focused exercises which I don't mind at all. It's always good to go over the foundations of Karate.
Back at home, I made Chinese stir fry for the family and enjoyed two and half beers.
Junkfood, beersKarate

Sunday
I triple-checked with Lucy that she was feeling well enough for her trip to London and she assured me that she was. I jumped up on my bike and, with Jonnie away in Iceland and Nigel being a gym bunny, set off into the lanes solo! I was determined to put on a good show today. The 74 miles of the Mad March Hare are looming menacingly on the horizon and, lately, I just don't feel like I'm capable of that kind of distance. I needed to change my own mind about that.
The entire ride was dry with only a 7mph wind. It wasn't too cold either. In fact, conditions were rather good for the time of year. I took advantage of the dry roads and threw myself down the farm on my way out of Tanworth. I tucked in behind a couple of fast guys as we sped along Oldberrow. One of them did not stop talking the entire time I was riding with them, even when climbing hills. In the end, I had to let them go, they were just too fast. I can't imagine ever being that fit...
I was cycling into a bit of a headwind - not much, but enough to keep the speed down. I was glad when I got to Luddington and the headwind became a crosswind. I got to Wilmcote at about 11am but instead of stopping, I kept pushing on, determined to get to 60 miles today. Upon reaching Snitterfield, I turned and headed back to Wilmcote via Bearley. I arrived at the cakestop with 37 miles in the legs.
After a slice of cake that didn't really touch the sides I was offered a toasted cheese sandwich. I found myself saying yes (even though I very rarely eat cheese because it's so bad for you) and was very glad I did. After a handful of nuts and some fizzy apple juice I clambered back on the bike. 
I expected the toastie to weigh heavily on me but it didn't - it seemed to be the right balance of carbs and protein to keep me going. Could this be our new secret weapon? Will they do cheese toasties at the Mad March Hare?
Anyway, I went back via the Temple Purity route in reverse, riding past my favourite brewery and then stopping off at Ullenhall to sit on the bench and eat a banana with 9 miles left to go. 
The War Memorial behind the bench at Ullenhall. Yes, I took my hat off.

I got back, cleaned the bike and then celebrated with a can of Purity's best beer (and probably the best beer I've ever had) - Saddle Black.
So good, so appropriate!

I'd covered 60 miles at 13.6mph. Admittedly, the MMH is 14 miles longer and takes on a major climb in the Cotswolds, but I feel a lot more confident about it after today.

Relive 'Slow and steady 60, solo'

In the evening, I treated myself to some chocolate and some beers. I'd ran out of proper ales so had to settle for lager left over from Christmas!
60 miles of cycling, junkfood, alcohol







No comments:

Post a Comment