. .

Search This Blog

Monday, February 12, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 17)

Monday
I cycled in to work. At some point today I lost my bike lock keys. My Raleigh was locked up in the college bike shed so I had to get a lift home with Lucy!
I did a good, heavy lifting session this evening (but still not as heavy as this time last year.)
No junkfood, no alcohol, weight training

Tuesday
Drove in to work but my keys had been handed in so I was able to ride home. It was a bitterly cold day with very light snow for most of the afternoon.
At the dojo, we did a mix of kata and kumite with Sensei Lloyd. Also this evening, the club applauded Sensei Mark after it was announced that he was awarded his 5th Dan over the weekend.
No junkfood, no alcohol, karate session.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Cycled in to work and back. Did an hour's weight training. Made stir fry for the family. Ate healthily. Didn't drink beer. Bed before 11.
No junkfood, no alcohol, weight training.

Thursday
And it was all going so well...
Tonight, I got home from work ready to run my weekly 10K. However, Lucy reminded me that it was Jess's birthday today and we were meeting for drinks in Solihull. So that was the end of any healthy activities for the day. I ended up drinking 4 pints of ale...

Friday
We attended a funeral today. The wake consisted of lots and lots of free food and alcohol. It went on for far too long and we ended up back at Jonnie and Sally's place after 10 hours of drinking.

Saturday
Horribly hungover.
I managed to drink lots of water and make dinner for Eric, Martha and myself.

Sunday
I woke up fuzzy. 
Today, Jonnie's good friend Dave was coming to ride with us. Dave is a top bloke who helps to organise the Pedal of Honour sportive. He's an enthusiastic rider who enjoys the social aspect of the sport and whose hospitality is second to none.
We set off into the beautifully sunny, crisp, cold morning with a westerly wind whipping round our wheels. We had started with a good pace and after 5 miles the average reached 15.0mph. Jonnie and I took Dave on our Honiley route which is fairly flat on the way out. At Snitterfield, we had to turn west and that was when the wind made itself felt. I charged into the headwind and kept the pace as high as I could with Dave and Jonnie tucked behind my wheel as we struggled past the Armories. After crossing the A34, Jonnie took to the front and cut a hole through an even stronger wind. By the time we got to the cake stop we were all sweating despite the near-freezing temperatures!
After refreshing ourselves with tea and homemade cake, we headed north and started climbing. I realised that, full of cake, with my mates, cycling through the British countryside, this was the happiest I'd been all weekend. Drinking really doesn't make me happy...
Dave let us know that he hadn't been doing much in the way of winter training and unfortunately his legs began to let him down. We slackened off the pace a little and arrived back at Jonnie's place with a 13.8mph average.
Needless to say, we refreshed ourselves with a few bottles of ale before parting ways...
In the evening, Lucy made a huge dinner for family and friends. Hydro was there too.


A disastrous week as far as my healthy lifestyle aspirations are concerned. The good thing about health and fitness is that you can always start again. 
So here goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment