. .

Search This Blog

Monday, January 29, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 15)

Monday
My shoulder was aching all day. I managed to cycle to work and back but I decided to rest the shoulder this evening so I didn't pick up the weights.
I ate healthily and ignored my beer shelf.
No junkfood, no alcohol, no exercise.

Tuesday

Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 128/77
Resting Heart Rate: 53
I cycled in to work and back. It was a mild day so I worked up a bit of a sweat on the way home! Unfortunately, I had to work late tonight so I didn't get chance to go to dojo. Also, a student had a birthday today and he brought some sweets in. I couldn't say no to a miniature Twix...
No alcohol, junkfood, no exercise.

Wednesday
Woke up feeling rough. Sore throat and coughing. The shoulder felt better, however. I managed to cycle in to work and back but felt too ropey to go out for a run (snot everywhere!)
I had to work late AGAIN and when I got home I was told that I didn't have time to lift weights because dinner would be ready soon.
After dinner, I went to pick Mouse up from a friend's house and by the time we got back, I couldn't find the motivation to lift. I was still sneezing and coughing.
I decided to watch this week's episode of Star Trek Discovery instead. It was awesome, but I didn't want Lorca to be a baddie...
No alcohol, no junkfood, no exercise

Thursday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
Woke up feeling worse than yesterday. My sore throat makes it painful to swallow and I'm starting to ache. After a Lemsip, I clambered up on the bike and cycled in. The afternoon sports lesson was a disaster: the sportshall was being used for an exam and it was raining outside. We did some folder work instead.
I cycled home and made dinner for the family and Mouse's mate Hydro. She was a good girl and ate all of her veggies. Mouse let me down and let herself down by picking out the vegetables.
I was meant to do my 10K run today but I'm so snotty there was no point. I couldn't even face a weight training session after dinner.
I went to bed with a Lemsip and Isaac Asimov.
No alcohol, no junkfoodno exercise

Friday

Weight: 10st 4lbs
Woke up full of snot. I cycled in to work with my nose dripping all over the A34. I sniffed and sneezed my way through the day and then cycled home again.
Tonight's karate session was run by Sensei Mark. We did some basics, kata and finally some one-step sparring. The problem was the amount of people who had turned up for a Friday night workout. It was IMPOSSIBLE to perform a kata properly because of the sheer volume of bodies. The club is a victim of its own success! As Sensei Mark himself said, we're going to need a bigger room...
The other problem this evening was that someone at my end of the dojo was obviously suffering from flatulence...
Back at home, I enjoyed two top quality ales with my dinner.
No junkfood, karate session, two ales

Saturday

Weight: 10st 4lbs
I woke up early with a banging headache. I got up at 7 for a Lemsip and to shoot things in GTA5.
It was a busy day: I put five more records up for sale on eBay before I walked the dogs around the park (in the rain!) I did some ironing and then, after lunch, headed off with Martha to the afternoon's karate session. Before it started, Sensei Jody invited me to do some sparring with him. I did what I could to land a punch on him but he's just too fast (and I'm too slow.) He landed a body blow on me, right on the bottom rib, which stopped me in my tracks. I thought I was going to throw up, but somehow I held on to my lunch!
Sensei Sarah took charge of the first half of the lesson with support from Sensei Jody. Sensei Sarah was understandably nervous about taking charge of a class for the first time but I think she did a great job of going through some basics and kata. She faced an extra challenge in the form of eleven children, all under the age of ten and all beginner grades! At times, it was like training in a nursery school!
Sensei Mark arrived halfway through and put us through some kata variations.
Unfortunately, my aching shoulder flared up badly and I couldn't face any of the pad-work that Jody had planned for me after the lesson. I met Lucy and Sally downstairs (we're training at the Village Hotel in Shirley - very posh) but this week they didn't buy me a Guinness. 😢
Back at home, I cleaned the floors, went shopping at Tesco, dropped Tilly off at a friend's house and then did a bit more ironing.
In the evening, Lucy and I watched the Ghost in the Shell remake with Scarlet Johansson . I loved the look of the film and was genuinely excited to see how closely they had recreated the scenes and characters. The fight in the shallow water, The Major's deep sea diving and then the confrontation with the spider tank at the end were very similar to the original. One of my favourite actors, Takeshi Kitano, does a fantastic job of playing Chief Aramaki (it was worth watching the film just to see his few scenes.) They even had Batou's dog turn up! However, all of these familiar settings, scenes and characters were used to tell a rather different story! Anyone remember Kuze in the fight with the spider tank? Me neither! Still, I found it very entertaining and look forward to collecting it on Blu-ray. I think Lucy got rather bored towards the end...
After that, I stayed up too late playing more GTA5.
Junkfood, 3 ales, karate session.

Sunday
I called for Jonnie at 9:05 and we sped off into the lanes. We headed out on out High Cross route and after about 8 miles we had an average of 15.0mph. It was a mild but windy day with lots of standing water on the roads. We weren't cold at all which was a very nice change!
The wind made things a little difficult at times - the steady climb past the Armouries was hard work as was the dash along Featherbed Lane. We had a splendid homemade walnut cake waiting for us at Wilmcote and after we'd washed that down with tea, we headed north towards Ullenhall. By the time we were cycling past the newly opened Winged Spur, the average was still a very healthy 14.2mph.
I'm pleased to report that we maintained this average over the remaining 7 miles.
Back at Jonnie's, we had a celebratory ale while comparing Strava results. Surprisingly, Jonnie disappeared into his pantry to fetch another round of ales. It was soon clear that we were both in a social mood and were pleased to be joined by Sally. Then some more ales appeared on the table...


This could be why I'm not losing weight as fast as I'd hoped...

I eventually got home at 3:30, in no condition to go to dojo and train.
The rest of the evening was spent enjoying fantastic homemade food and drinking one more ale with my dinner.
34 miles of cycling at 14.2mph, 4 and a half ales, lots of junkfood

No comments:

Post a Comment