. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 7, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 12)


I was hopeless in the last two weeks of December. My bad back gradually returned to normal so I managed to take part in a few activities, but mostly I simply indulged in unhealthy food and beer! From the 18th until the 31st, I took part in two karate sessions, went out on two bike rides and completed two weight-training sessions. The rest of my time was given over to debauchery!
As a result, I put 5lbs on over Christmas.
There's a picture of my fat belly in this post - you have been warned!

I intend to continue training towards my three usual short term goals as well as my long term goal to become a black belt (1st Dan) in Shotokan Karate. My three short term goals are, once again, to complete the Mad March Hare cycle sportive, the Birmingham 10K run in under an hour in May, and the Tommy Godwin cycle sportive in September.
I will continue to strive for my weekly targets of faster runs coupled with steady weight loss. Unfortunately, because of my bad back and lack of willpower, my target plan now has some big crosses on it as well as the lovely green ticks:


My training targets are above my desk in the man cave.
The plan is, as always, reasonably simple:


  • Attend at least one Karate lesson each week (preferably 3 or 4.)
  • Run a 10k each week (meeting the targets pictured above.)
  • At least one weight training session each week (preferably 2) gradually increasing the weight to where it was before my bicep injury in March 2017.
  • Cycle to work and back Monday to Friday.
  • Cut down on the junkfood - maybe one treat at the weekend.
  • Cut down on the beers - definitely no binge drinking (if I never have a hangover again I'm doing it right.)
  • A big cycle ride each weekend (especially in the 8 weeks before the March Hare.)

If I stick to this plan, I should once again see the weight start to come off and my fitness will increase. For Karate, I need strength, speed and endurance (as well as confidence and technique) and I think this plan will take me in the right direction.


Okay, so here I go again!


Monday 1st January 2018

Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 150/75
Resting Heart Rate: 63bpm
I woke up with a headache after staying up too late with a bottle of red wine while playing GTA5. Lucy made a lovely fried breakfast. We have a non-stick Teflon pan so we don't need to add any oil or fat. I had two slices of wholemeal toast, eggs, mushrooms, baked beans and bacon. While I can't pretend that bacon is good for me, I don't count it as junkfood. Junkfood is stuff like ice cream, crisps, white bread, chocolate, biscuits and cake. Basically, all the salty and sugary things I love!
This lunchtime, Lucy and I watched Life starring Jake Gyllenhaal. It almost scared the life out of us! Highly recommended if you enjoy a clever, realistic sci-fi scare, but it does leave you feeling a bit sad.
I did a bit of housework (cleaning floors) and then set about lifting weights! I managed to increase the weights a little and did a good session including deadlifts, overhead presses and curls (as well as some dumbbell and bodyweight exercises.)
Lucy served up a homemade lamb pie with loads of veggies for dinner!
Bed at 10:30.
No junkfood (yes, bacon!) No alcohol, weight training.

Tuesday

Weight: 10st 6lbs
I was surprised to find that I'd put a pound on yesterday. Maybe I shouldn't have had two helpings of lamb pie? After three Weetabix for breakfast, Lucy dropped me off at the hospital so I could be fitted with my heart rate monitor. This device should help my doctor get to the bottom of the heart 'flutters' I've been experiencing since August.


The heart monitor (and my Christmas gut - currently 6lbs heavier than I was three weeks ago!)
I have to write down all of the sensations in my chest over the next 48 hours and then return it to the hospital. How I'm going to sleep in this thing, I don't know! Also, I can't have a shower.
Back at home, I did a weight lifting session concentrating on the legs. I made sure to include some deadlifts and squats. It seemed to be rather easy today so I might start to increase the weight at a faster rate than I have been.
After tuna, veggies and noodles for lunch, I set about demolishing Mouse's desk. It was a handmade 100% wooden desk built to last by her grandfather. It took me ages to unscrew and bash it apart - I worked harder doing that than I did with my weight lifting session!
In the evening, we watched Wonder Woman. It seemed a bit plodding, only had one superhero in it, and most action shots were done in slow motion which was impressive at first but then became formulaic. I found myself flicking through my phone like a teenager...
In the interests of science, I had three beers tonight. I want to see what affect alcohol has on my heart so I'll be interested to see what the results are on the heart monitor. Honest.
No junkfood, weight training, alcohol.

Wednesday
Storm Eleanor is whipping across the UK at the moment. It did wake me up a couple of times in the night, but only briefly. The heart rate monitor didn't bother me much at all - I'm impressed that the three sticky pads have managed to hang on so far. I hope they'll last another night.
I was hoping to go for a bike ride today but the winds were too strong. I drove on the motorway today and it felt like I was struggling to keep the car in a straight line in the gale!
This evening, I went out for my weekly 10K run. Martha started with me but only lasted a couple of hundred metres - she had hurt her ankle...
I set off a bit fast and covered the first mile in 9 minutes 22 seconds. Which is a bog standard time for most people but a good time for me. I slowed down rather a lot after that and actually completed the course in 64 minutes 6 seconds which is a pace of 10:18 per mile. Immediately after I stopped running, still walking on the pavement, I experienced a large 'flutter' in my chest that made me cough and bend over. I'm glad it happened while I was wearing the heart monitor because now the doctor can see what I'm complaining about.
I went home to cook a healthy dinner for the family - Mexican scrambled eggs with peppers, mushrooms, onion and homemade potato wedges.
While I was cooking, I accidentally opened a bottle of stout. I had a bottle of cider in the evening while relaxing with the PS4.
No junkfood, 10K run, 2 alcoholic drinks

Thursday
After dropping Mouse off at school, I went along to the hospital to have my heart monitor removed. Then I walked the dogs and helped my mate Deano get Tilly's car started.
Lunch was homemade frittata with no cheese. For dinner, Lucy served up chicken with pasta and kale. Super healthy! In the evening, I did a weights session.
No junkfood, weight training, no alcohol.

Friday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
This morning, Lucy and I went shopping. I had vouchers for a record shop burning a hole in my pocket! I bought 4 fantastic albums by Yes, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Opeth and Pink Floyd.
Lucy and I stopped for tea at the Kitchen Garden Cafe. I noted the double layer carrot cake and Lucy inquired whether I'd like a slice. Without thinking about it I said yes and my healthy eating was over for the day...


Suddenly, it's a cheat day.
I did a weight lifting session in the early evening. 
I had two helpings of homemade Chinese chicken with rice along with three beers!
Spicy food and beer made it difficult to get to sleep.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 6lbs
A bad day. There was a family bereavement which meant that any plans we had for the day went out of the window and we rallied round at Uncle Jonnie's house. We ended up having more than a few drinks and then ordered take away in the evening.
It was hard to sleep.

Sunday
A waste of a day as far as a healthy lifestyle is concerned. I woke up (although I hadn't really slept, just dozed) with a banging headache. I had a healthy breakfast, drove Lucy up to Jonnie and Sally's place, took Tilly's old bed to the tip and parcelled some stuff for eBay.
I had a few beers and ate some chocolate bazil nuts while crashing cars in GTA5.


Oh well, I'll start again next week!



1 comment: