. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2017

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 4)

Monday
10st 2lbs
Storm Ophelia hit the UK today so I decided I wasn't going to ride in the high winds. I drove to work and back. My right arm and left calf were throbbing with pain all day.
At home, I did a weight lifting session with tiny weights just to keep the body used to these exercises. I did 300 bodyweight exercises too (press ups, tricep dips and leg raises.)
No alcohol, no junkfood.

Tuesday

I cycled in to work. The care group had made cupcakes and I was given one by one of the students who came to visit my IT lesson...
I cycled home.
At the dojo tonight, we did a kicks-based lesson with Sensei Julian.
After a healthy dinner, I found it impossible to resist a hot chocolate and couple of biscuits!
No alcohol.

Wednesday
I cycled in to work. On the ride home, in a cold wind and drizzle, I decided that I wasn't going to wear shorts on the commute for the rest of the year. It's time for the waterproof trousers!
At home, I did a super-light weight training session before Nigel came round to watch me eat my dinner. We played some tunes in the man cave and didn't drink any ale because we're both Sober for October.
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Cycled in to work. I did an extended martial arts based warm up with the Sports group before our football tournament. It was a very busy day at work and I didn't get time to eat my lunch. I cycled home to lift up some very light weights and make dinner for the family (homemade curry and chips!)
In the evening, Nigel got in touch and arranged an interview for Martha at the Solihull Arden Club. One moment, Martha was in bed, twenty minutes later she's in an impromptu interview and has got the job! Nice one Nigel, you're a top bloke!
I'm not sure what this will do for her Karate but it will do wonders for her confidence, her CV and her bank balance.
I stayed up late reading and turned the light off at midnight.
No junkfood, no booze.

Friday
10st 0lbs
Awake early after a rough night's sleep. The intention was to go for an early morning bike ride but I couldn't face it. I felt very bloated with stomach pains. At work, the pain in my belly very gradually went away and by the ride home I was feeling okay.
After a fast, very light weights session, I got changed and then Lucy, Jonnie, Sally and I went for dinner in Solihull. We had a nice time but my dinner was crap: a bit of salmon, not quite cooked long enough, with some hard green beans and lentils. Yes, lentils. On a plate.
After that, we went to see Chris Connor in the Elvis Show at Solihull Core Theatre.
Firstly, the guy looks like The King. Secondly, the guy moves like The King. Finally, the guy SOUNDS like The King. He and his band put on a very convincing 1970-era show taken straight from the film That's the Way It Is. I know the film like the back of my hand and I was flabbergasted to see how closely Chris Connor was following it, even mimicking Elvis's antics during guitar solos and instrumental sections. He had obviously studied the man very closely. The jump suits looked authentic, as did the scarves and the hair. The lead guitarist even played a pink guitar similar to that of James Burton's pink Telecaster from the Vegas years.
During the interval, I tried my first ever non-alcoholic beer. It wasn't too bad although it was lacking that alcoholic sharpness to cut through all that malt. It was better than I expected.
When I got home, I was really hungry. Luckily, or not, depending how you look at it, Tilly had left some take out Chinese food. I ended up wolfing down noodles, rice and chips at 11pm!
No alcohol, no junkfood apart from the last hour!

Saturday
9st 13lbs
I'm currently the lightest I've been for over three years. Sober for October does have its advantages!

This weight graph clearly shows the effects of my summer holiday and the effects of Sober for October!

After a very lazy start to the day involving me cooking bacon and eggs for Lucy and myself, I took the dogs for a stroll around the park. After this, as Storm Brian made his presence felt across the UK, I went out for my weekly run. I felt quite good and got back with a time of 63 minutes and 35 seconds. Slow for most people but not too bad for me, considering I was trying to run in some very windy conditions!
I managed to eat healthily for the rest of the day and Lucy had prepared plaice with rice and vegetables for my dinner. Wonderful.
Bed early to read.
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Sunday

10st 0lbs
Up at 7:20am to go cycling. Storm Brian was still blowing hard outside (without rain this time) so I knew it would be a cold one. I put on the full length bib tights along with thermal base layer, jersey and rain jacket.
Jonnie set off to do the 36 mile High Cross route. We set off strongly and soon warmed up. It was about 11 miles into the ride, at High Cross, that I ran over a branch in the road. This branch flicked up into my front wheel and knocked my bike computer's sensor out of alignment with the magnet on my spoke. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but after three or four minutes of faffing, Jonnie and I couldn't get my computer to work again! We decided to roll on.
However, after two or three miles I must have glanced down at my non-functioning computer at least 20 times. In fact, that's a rather conservative estimate. It felt entirely alien to be cycling along not knowing my current or average speeds. Unfortunately, it didn't get any better and I still found myself looking down at my stem for no reason for the entire ride!
The wind made for hard going and our sluggish 14.1mph reflected this. I also think that yesterday's 10K knocked some of the energy out of my legs. I feel Jonnie could have gone faster today.
Interestingly, we must have seen about 5 or 6 club rides out in the lanes today, much more than normal. Is it national peleton day?
I was fairly lazy for the rest of the day. I occupied myself by putting records and toys and comic books up for sale on eBay.
I allowed myself some treats tonight - such as biscuits with my tea. Heavenly!
Only 10 days of Sober for October to go...









1 comment:

  1. This will be good for Martha - I'm sure she will be an asset to the club.

    ReplyDelete