. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 1, 2017

How to Lose a Belly When you're 43 (part 1)

Monday
Yesterday, Jonnie, Nigel and I rode 63 miles for charity.
This morning, I woke up feeling ropey with an elevated heart rate. I plonked myself on my old Raleigh and struggled in to work in the rain. I felt better as the day went on but the ride home was particularly tiring. I somehow managed to find the energy to do a good weights session before I made dinner for the family. I was aching all over and retired to bed just after 10pm.
No booze, no junkfood.

Tuesday

I woke up feeling a lot better after a dream where I played for Aston Villa. The cycle to work and back was still a struggle, but I dragged myself off to the dojo with Martha in the evening.
It was another competition training session - once again entirely focused on kumite. Sensei Gary was very encouraging but I know that my fighting is far from being up to standard. Also, I found out that I'm going to be in the over 40s category for the kumkite. Oh well, at least I'll be one of the youngest in that category!
Martha told me that she is feeling rather nervous about the competition now that it is only 19 days away!
At home, I allowed myself 3 beers with dinner and while watching the excellently creepy Stranger Things with Mouse.
No junkfood.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
I'm rather pleased with the weight loss so far. I've lost 6lbs in the 37 days since I restarted my training program on the 21st August. That's faster than I'd intended to lose weight.
Cycled in to work and back.
At home, I discovered I'd been sent a Sober for October badge ready for Sunday. I'm now dreading the thought of not having a relaxing ale for a month, but I do love a challenge.
In the evening, I set off for a 10K in the rain. My legs felt like lead and I was rather unmotivated. I staggered around in a miserable 67 minutes and 27 seconds. I felt rubbish when I got back but at least I'd got the run out of the way for the week.
I refuelled with Lucy's homemade shepherd's pie.
No junkfood, no beer.

Thursday

Cycled in to work. I was really hungry today and demolished my lunch sandwiches at 10:30am. I was with the sports group in the afternoon and we started of with some martial arts. I'm pleased to say that all the lads took it seriously and we worked well together. After this, I organised a 20 minute football tournament (3 a side.) after a break, we did some 100 metre sprints and I'm pleased to report that I came third with a time of 15:00 seconds on grass.
I cycled home with aching legs.
At home, I managed another fairly heavy (for me) weights session before heading off for drinks with Sally on her birthday. Back home for dinner and an episode of the excellent Stranger Things. I had a total of 3 and half ales tonight.
No junkfood.

Friday

Weight: 10st 3lbs
Happy birthday to me.
I got up at 6, had some breakfast, and then headed out on my race bike. It was pouring down with rain. I was determined to get 15 miles in the legs before work so got my head down. Thankfully, it was warm rain so it was kind of like riding while having a shower! At about 7 miles in there's a bit of a climb up to the Punch Bowl pub. As I crested the top of this hill I experienced a sudden fluttering sensation in my chest. It was a bit of shock and very disappointing as I didn't have any trouble with my chest during the Tommy Godwin. The rest of the ride was a miserable affair as I felt like I couldn't make too much of an effort in case it triggered another strange sensation. I arrived at work soaking wet and fed up. I spent the rest of the morning trying not to worry about my heart.
My friends and students at work were awesome as always: lots of cards, cake and hugs and even a couple of bottles of beer.
In the late afternoon, Lucy, Debbie and I attended the wake of a friend's granddaughter. The family had bravely tried to put a positive spin on things, but it's still such a sad time.
Tonight, family gathered at the Fieldhouse for my birthday dinner. The Fieldhouse had made a complete mess of things and hadn't even reserved a table for us. The food was uninspiring, seemingly based around oven chips. The ale was too cold.
However, the gifts people had given me soon cheered me up! Lucy had done a fantastic job of making sure I had lots of very thoughtful presents. She'd obviously spent a lot of time and effort getting everything right. Thanks babe.

Opeth's first album - one of my fantastic birthday gifts.
Saturday
Up at 7 ready for cycling. The weather forecast from the BBC said to expect another drenching this morning. There was no sign of Nigel so Jonnie and I set off into the lanes.
As soon as we got going I found myself waiting for that horrible fluttering sensation in my chest that I experienced yesterday. I got very tense waiting for it to happen and I had to consciously make myself relax as we headed out towards Ulenhall. I could feel the muscles in my back tensing as I cycled.
The expected downpour didn't happen, we just got a bit damp in the drizzle. At Wilmcote, we had tea, Jonnie had cake and I had a banana. We watched the sun come out and then headed off back on the same route. Blue skies and sunshine have a wonderful effect on the mind and I felt myself relax a little and become a bit more chatty. I was still mindful not to put much of an effort in on the climbs, just in case that fluttering sensation came back.
I have an appointment with a cardiologist in 5 weeks time. It seems a long way off...
After a cup of tea and a very healthy lunch of tuna, pasta and salad, I did some ironing and then jumped in the shower ready for dojo.
This afternoon's training session was all about me! There were only 4 students present and of the 4 of us, I was the only one who had entered the competition next month. It
was an intense session of fighting and kata with Sensei giving me regular feedback as we went. He worked me really hard and I was a red-faced dripping mess by the end of it. It reinforced that I also need to keep working on my fitness!
After a bowl of soup I headed up town for a few beers with some old school and university friends. I ended up drinking far too much but having a grand old time. 

Sunday
My most hated of things: a wasted day. Feeling far, far too ill to do anything, I spent the day on the couch or in the man cave. Didn't eat healthily either. No exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment