. .

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 14)

Monday
Weight: 10st 9lbs
I was a bit disappointed to learn that I weigh exactly the same as I did last Monday. I tried to convince myself that I've lost some fat and gained some muscle but it didn't work..
I cycled to work and back and then went for a run. It was quite a mild night so I got very sweaty early on. I bumped into Auntie Sally out on a walk and she was perspiring too!
It was a slow run but I felt okay when I got back.
I cooked eggs for the family and then put my feet up.
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Exercise

Cycled to work and back
Run: 4.7 miles at 10:48 pace

Food

2 x wholemeal toast with peanut butter
Pineaple juice
2 x cups of redbush tea
1 x cup of Earl Grey
3 slices of banana malt loaf
2 bananas
1 satsuma
Leftover stir-fried chicken pieces
Mexican scrambled eggs (peppers, onion, homegrown tomatoes, tortilla, mushrooms) with homemade potato wedges from Mom's allotment.

Alcohol

None

Tuesday

Weight: 10st 8lbs
Due to car issues, I could only ride my bike to work today, then I had to put it in the back of my Fiat and drive home. In the evening, I went to pick up the amplifier and mixing desk I need for the quiz on Saturday night. I had to drive to Redditch and back. By the time I got back home and scoffed a late dinner, I was far too tired/lazy to do a weight lifting session.
I watched a bit of TV and wasted an hour on the Playstation. I went to bed just after midnight but unfortunately I couldn't get off to sleep. I just lay there looking at the ceiling. The last time I remember checking the time it was 3:30am...
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Exercise

Rode to work (4.6 miles)

Food

2 x wholemeal toast with peanut butter
Glass of pineaple juice
Redbush tea
Banana
Handful of mixed nuts
2 fresh plaice fillets with tomatoes, rice and vegetables.

Alcohol

None

Wednesday

Up at 6am after about 2 hours sleep (if that)
I had to drive today
Back at home, I did a weight lifting session and managed to lift heavier than I did last week.
I cooked for the family. In bed for 10:30!
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Exercise:

Press ups: 100
Triceps dips: 100
Leg raises: 100
Deadlift (54kg): 5 sets of 5 reps
Side raise (6.5kg): 5x5
Front raise (8kg): 5x5
Squats (37kg): 5x5
Curls (37kg): 5x5
Overhead Press(29kg): 5x5


Thursday 

Weight: 10st 7lbs
Rode in to work in my shorts because I can't find my winter riding trousers. It was a cold experience!
I had malt loaf for lunch and then picked at nuts and fruit.
In the aferternoon, I took the Sports and Leisure group to the sportshall. After our usual warm-up (which the lads now take in turns to lead themselves) we did 2 rounds of circuit training. One of my students is about to take his kickboxing black belt grading in 10 days time. He was desperate to show some moves to the class so I let him have the last 10 minutes of the day to demonstrate and teach the group some techniques. The speed of the guy is incredible! I wouldn't have a hope against him in a fight and I don't think anyone else at our club would either, apart from Sensei Ronnie of course. At only 16, this kid has a very bright future ahead of him. His dedication to training is obvious - he'll probably have his own dojo before he's 25.
Rode home very very hungry!
Dinner was chicken and pasta.
After dropping my Dungeons and Dragons players home I started weightlifting at about 10pm. I replaced yesterday's deadlifts and OHP with DB curls and Shrugs.
At 11, I slumped on the couch with muesli and Playstation. I actually fell asleep with the controller in my hand...
No alcohol, no junkfood.

Exercise
Cycled to work and back
Leg raises:100
Push ups: 100
Triceps dips: 100
Shrugs (48kg): 5 sets of 5
Curls (37kg): 5x5
Squats (37kg): 5x5
Dumbbell Curls (17kg): 5x5
Side raises (6.5kg): 5x5
Front raises (8kg): 5x5

Food

2 x Wholemeal toast and peanut butter
Redbush tea
Apple and orange juice
Malt loaf
Nuts
Banana
Plum
2 x chicken breasts with pasta
Bowl of muesli with semi-skimmed milk.

Alcohol

None

Friday
We had to attend a meeting in Digbeth again this Friday. unfortunately, the roads were very frosty in the morning so, rather than risking a 25mm or 30mm tyre in those conditions, I chose the mountain bike with its 2.4 inch tyres!
Big mistake.
The bike is heavy. I'd forgotten just how heavy. Coupled with the massive knobbly tyres this meant I was very slow and working very hard. To get back in time for karate meant I had to push really hard. I was very tired and very sweaty when I got back home.
It was worth it though, the karate training tonight was excellent - reminding me of my first dojo 17 years ago when we practised basic techniques over and over to improve them and to develop our fitness and stamina. I came away happy!
At home, I ate sensibly and didn't drink alcohol.

Saturday

I got up in time to ride my bike but decided it would be too frosty/icy on the roads. I went for a run and covered a slow 4.7 miles without stopping or walking. 


My excuse/reason for not riding in the cold.

In the evening, I was the 'quizmaster' for a pub-type quiz to raise funds for Mouse's trip to Ecuador. We held it at Wilmcote Village Hall and there were about 50 people in attendance. I don't think I did a very good job. Everyone thought it was too hard (apart from the eventual winners!) and I think I was too serious as a compere for the evening. I should have put some jokes in there.
I had a few beers during the evening and and opened some wine at home.

Sunday

We attended a very enjoyable lunch for our friend Mark's birthday. We met family members at the Rose and Crown and I was disappointed by the lack of local ales. However, Jonnie and I opted for Hobgoblin which was very welcome. After three of these I was ready for my three course dinner. It was top quality fare: a very tasty soup followed by THE best Sunday chicken lunch I've had in a restaurant. The pudding was a fantastic millionaire shortbread accompanied by chocolate ice cream. All for £17! Highly recommended. After not being allowed to pay for our dinner, Lucy and I went home where I opened another beer...and then some wine...


Summary
Another failure of a week. It was all going splendidly until Saturday night when I got a bit carried away and stayed up until 2am. After that, I was on a bit of a mission...

3 comments:

  1. You serious....never, I would have loved to have come to your quiz night - 100 questions about Genesis - I would have nailed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyway I thought you were a Compere not a Compare - they are very different 🤓

    ReplyDelete