. .

Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 9)

Monday
I tried to cycle into work today but when I was a mile away, a loose bungee cord hanging from the rack above the back wheel wrapped itself around the rear hub and stuck solid. I couldn't shift it at all. Worse, I couldn't push the bike either. So I had to carry the Raleigh Carlton, the heaviest bike I own, on my shoulder for a mile to get back home and then jump in the car.
I ate healthily at work.
A family member was taken into hospital today so, after I'd cooked, we were kept busy tonight and didn't get home until 10:45. Straight to bed after no exercise.
No junkfood, no booze.

Exercise

Cycled one mile!

Food

2 x wholemeal toast with peanut butter
Orange juice
Cup of redbush tea
Cup of coffee
Handful of pistachio nuts
Banana
Plum
Mexican scrambled eggs (eggs, peppers, onions, mushroom, tomatoes, wholemeal tortilla) with potato waffles.
Cup of builder's tea.

Alcohol

None

Tuesday
Cycled in to work on the Specialized.
Ate healthily all day.
Cycled back home.
In the evening, Martha went along to the dojo for some focused competition training with Sensei Mark. We had a mock kumite tournament followed by a mock kata competition. I lost my fight to a first kyu - he kicked me in the jaw with a mawashi geri which left me with a ringing headache for the next hour.
Then I went up against the same guy in kata and beat him.
Tonight, Martha and I signed up for both kumite and kata in the real club competition next month. Very exciting!
I then had a relaxing evening of good food and good TV (Arrow!)
No junkfood, no booze.

Wednesday
I have to drive to work on Wednesdays.
Had a handful of nuts and some fruit for lunch.
We went visiting family tonight do I didn't find the time for any exercise. Worse still, Jane had made an apple and blackcurrant pie especially for me so I had no choice but to have some with Cornish ice cream!
I managed to avoid a beer even though one was offered.

Exercise
None

Food

2 wholemeal toast with peanut butter
Cup of redbush tea
Glass of apple juice
Handful of nuts
Banana
Homemade shepherd's pie with vegetables and cauliflower cheese
Homemade apple and blackcurrant pie with Cornish ice cream
Chocolate Brazil nuts
A choc ice

Alcohol

None

Friday
Cycled in to work. I had a plum and some nuts for lunch along with three slices of malt loaf!
In the afternoon, I took the sports group through some fitness exercises. This meant that I got to do a bit of running, some push ups and a bit of stretching with them. They did most of the actual exercise while I held a stopwatch and shouted at them.
Cycled home.
After tonight's D&D game, I hit the weights for an hour. I lifted the same as last week.
Then, too hungry to sleep, I stayed up late and ate muesli.
No alcohol, no junkfood.

Exercise

Push-ups: 100
Triceps-dips: 100
Leg raises: 100
Curls (36kg): 5 sets of 5 reps
Squats (36kg): 5x5
DB curls (17kg): 5x5
Side raise (6.5kg): 5x5
Front raise (8): 5x5
Overhead Press (29kg): 5x5

Food

2 x wholemeal toast with peanut butter
Cup of tea
Orange juice
Plum
Nuts
Malt loaf
Homemade beef chili with wholewheat pasta
Muesli with semi-skimmed milk.

Alcohol

none

Friday

Cycled in to college at Hall Green
At lunch time, I cycled over to some training courses in Digbeth and then cycled home - that's a total of about 14 miles in the saddle. Riding home from the city in Friday rush hour traffic was fun!
Martha and I went along to the dojo to train with Sensei Ronnie Christopher. He took us through a kata training session, going through all of the seven kata we know so far (plus the initial training kata - Kihon.) As always, I was in awe of Sensei's athletic ability (especially now as he is nearing 60 and he still the fastest, most supple karateka in the room) but what struck me tonight was how well he teaches. He includes everyone, encourages those who need it and never makes anyone feel bad. The whole class was motivated to do their best. I just wish I could replicate the same feeling in my own classroom!
At home, I cooked a Chinese chicken stir fry for the family.
At about 11pm I had a bowl of muesli because I was still hungry!
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Exercise
Cycled to work and back (14 miles today)
One our of karate training.

Alcohol 

None

Food

Wholemeal toast with peanut bitter
Tea
Orange juice
Nuts
Fruit
Chinese stir fry (chicken breast, peppers, spring onions, mushrooms, noodles, rice.)
Museli with semi-skimmed milk

Saturday
Woke up late, about 9am. I made breakfast for Lucy and myself and then we went shopping. At lunch time, I went for a 45 minute run. It was a struggle and not very fast. Still, I burned some calories. In the afternoon, I worked on a student's bicycle in the sunshine with a beer. Then the family went bowling! I came last but I had a Guinness which made me feel better.
Back home, Lucy served up homemade spag bol with wholewheat pasta and we all watched Cloverfield on DVD. I stayed up late and drank a bit too much!
No junkfood.

Exercise:

Run: 4.4 miles at 10:13 per mile pace

Food

Bacon and eggs with crumpets and homegrown tomatoes
Tea
Orange juice
Homemade bolognese with wholewheat spaghetti

Alcohol

1 440ml tin of ale
1 pint of Guinness
2 bottles of ale
Half a bottle of red wine

Sunday
A cheat day!
I had muesli for breakfast followed by tea and cookies with Mouse on the couch.
Lucy made a frittata for lunch because we had guests - Paul the electricain and Mavis.I drank a beer with Paul before he left.
3 hours later, I attended dojo with Martha. Sensei Ronnie Christpher took the class supported by Sensei Jim and Sensei Gary. It was a kata and kicking lesson. I partnered Martha for the first time in over a year and we got told off for messing about!
Home to drink a beer while waiting for my dinner.Unfortunately, I drank the first beer by Sadler's that I didn't really enjoy. I won't be buying Hop Bomb again. (Sadler's still do some fantastic ales, though!)

Nope

The family watched 10 Cloverfield Lane together. After Cloverfield, it was disappointing and shouldn't really have had 'Cloverfield' in the title. There didn't seem to be any connection between the two. Oh well. At least the family have all been together over the weekend instead of in separate bedrooms looking at phones!

Exercise
One hour of karate training

Food

Muesli with semi-skimmed milk
Tea
Cookies
Homemade frittata with salad, Scotch egg, chicken, and curried potatoes
Chicken pie with loads of vegetables and roasted potatoes from Mom's allotment.
Whole nut chocolate

Alcohol

3 real ales
One large glass of red wine
A measure of single malt Scotch.

No comments:

Post a Comment