. .

Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 25)

Monday
10st 4lbs
I woke up far too late to cycle to work and was forced to drive in with no breakfast!
The morning session was a boxing and weight training session with the Sports course lads.
After a horrible afternoon at work (one of my best students was expelled because of another tutor's inability to control behaviour in the classroom) I was nicely fired up for a weight-lifting session when I got home!
Unfortunately, 45 minutes into the workout, the arms failed and I couldn't lift another rep. Again, I had to make dinner with shaking muscles.
In the evening, I was easily convinced to try one of Martha's homemade cookies.
Lucy and I watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones with a glass of wine each.
45 minutes of weight training
No junkfood today (other than a tiny homemade cookie!)
One large glass of red wine.

Tuesday
Cycled to work and back in the rain.
Tonight's Karate session was fantastic! We were focussed on Kumite and I was lucky enough to work one-to-one with a black belt for most of the lesson. Sensei Gary occasionally had us perform some high speed, high power kata before returning to the fighting. It made for a very intense session indeed. Everyone, including black belts, had sweat running down their faces throughout the session.
A great workout and just what I needed!
At home, I sipped more red wine while I did some marking. But my heart wasn't in it and by 10pm I was on the couch watching cycling!
Karate lesson
No junkfood today
Two large glasses of red wine.

Wednesday
I had to drive in to work today because we had a meeting with Martha's tutor in Morton Morrell. 



After the meeting, we stopped off at the Crown Inn at Claverdon so we could buy Martha a well-deserved ice cream. This pub is only half a mile away from one of my regular cycling routes but I hadn't seen it before. Chatting with the barmaid she explained that it regards itself as a "local pub" and she was willing to accommodate us with our order of ice cream and tea in the bar! I had a pint of Pacific EPA from Cottage Brewing. It was a splendid pint, clean and crisp, and I had to make a conscious effort not to quaff it all in a couple of minutes! One I'll be looking out for again.
At home, I put the feet up, watched The Flash with the kids and sipped some more wine. Lucy had prepared homemade sausage casserole with loads of vegetables - awesome!
No exercise
No Junkfood
1 pint of ale, 1 glass of red wine.

Thursday
Cycled to work and back and then conducted a game of Dungeons and Dragons with the young people. After I'd dropped them all home, I was meant to pick up the weights bar. I sat on the couch and drank beer instead.

Friday
By this time, I'd given up trying to train properly. It's as if I'm now trapped inside someone else's body, and I'm disgusted as I watch him drink beer and eat cake.
At least I'd cycled to work and back today. 
I went along to the dojo and took part in a very sweaty basics and kata lesson with Sensei Gary. It was a fine lesson only slightly marred by the fact that the room isn't really large enough for the amount of people who now attend. There are kids everywhere!

Saturday
I called for Jonnie at 8:30 and we cycled out into the lanes. The road surface was mostly dry with damp patches and the occasional puddle. There was a cold wind blowing us south towards Stratford. We set a good pace, had a chat and the scenery was beautiful. After calling in to see Eric on his birthday and to eat some of his cake, we turned north to go home the short way. We had intended to go the long way through Snitterfield but I'd received a call while I was at the cake stop informing me that I was needed to assist a family member at hospital.



I'd intended to keep a steady 14mph average today, but now that the ride was being shortened by 10 miles I thought I should aim for a faster time to try to maximise the training. We worked hard on the hills, kept the pressure on when on the flat and eventually came home with a 15.0mph average over 42 miles. I'm happy with that!

Sunday
A lazy day out with Mom and my brother, then at a family gathering at Jonnie's house and then back with the girls. I had a cider and an ale in the afternoon and fell asleep on the couch. Action man!



No comments:

Post a Comment