. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 24)

Monday
This was it! I was determined to get back into training and restart the weight loss.
I cycled in to work and my first lesson was a weight-lifting and boxing session with my sports group. Good work so far.
After college, I cycled home and then picked up the weights for myself. I did a good heavy session but was disappointed to learn that I couldn't keep up with the demands of my weight-training program - it got to the point where I simply couldn't do another rep!
With shaky arms and legs, I made a protein rich dinner with loads of veggies (Mexican scrambled eggs with peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions) and drank water.
I was pleased that my neck/shoulder injury didn't stop me lifting although it was rather sore afterwards.
No booze, no junkfood.

Tuesday
Cycled in to work and back.
At the dojo, it was a rather slow kata instruction lesson with lots of standing around and waiting for others. Probably good for my shoulder but not good for my weight loss intentions!
No booze, no junkfood.

Wednesday
Far too much work to do. I managed to cycle in to work and back but that was the only exercise for the day.

Thursday
I've blown it.
The amount of paperwork at college is basically unmanageable at the moment. At lunch time I realised that I'd have to cancel our Dungeons and Dragons game for that evening. At home, I found myself working at my desk in the man cave until 11:10pm when I called it a night. I couldn't resist a couple of real ales to help me through...
At least I managed to cycle to work and back.

Friday
I couldn't even use the bike today - I had to drive to a different campus at lunch time. 
I got home too late to attend the dojo. Instead, I walked the dogs and then drank some beers and got fatter.
Nigel, Lloyd and Jonnie all said they couldn't ride on Saturday.

Saturday
Go up feeling strong. I got on the bike and headed out for some solo miles. The roads were bone dry on the way out and I set a good average on the Honiley route - 15.8mph at the cake stop! After sitting with Jane and Eric for a while, I headed north for the remaining 15 miles. I kept the pressure on even when it started raining. I came home with a 15.6mph average speed over the 39 miles which is certainly my personal best for that distance!


Strava says 15.5mph average, my bike computer says 15.6mph.


The rest of the afternoon and evening was spent at a fantastic street party which Lucy had organised. I was lucky enough to be the DJ so I played some classic British pop hits, drank loads of beer, ate junkfood and undid all my good work on the bike. Looking at the tables of cake, scones and sausage rolls, Nigel suggested I changed the name of my blog to "How to Maintain a Belly When You're 41." Makes sense to me!

Sunday
I had foolishly agreed to meet Nigel, Lloyd and their mate (Andy?) for a ride this morning. After 8 hours of drinking beer and eating junk the night before, this wasn't the best idea.
Jonnie called for me and then we headed off to the Fieldhouse pub to meet the other three chaps at 8:40. It started raining a few seconds before we headed off on the ride. After 5 miles, my breakfast was still trying to decide whether it was going to stay in my stomach or not, I had a wonderful collection of indigestion/chest pains and my legs felt empty.
As the ride went on, the roads got wetter, my brakes got worse and my confidence on the descents went out of the window. Lloyd did some work on the front and proved himself to be more than capable. Nigel was his usual powerhouse on the flats. Their friend (serious enough to have shaved legs!) was the road captain.
At the Fleur de Lys, the blokes were so far up the road I'd lost sight of them. Thankfully, the road then started to climb and I started to reel them in. If the climb had been another half a mile longer I reckon I could have caught up. But as it was, I didn't and they had to wait!
By the time we got to Dynamic Rides I was done. Jonnie had had enough of the rain and joined me in heading for home. Nigel and the others met up with the Dynamic Rides chaps and did another 17 miles in the rain!
In the afternoon, Martha and I attended a good kicking and kata lesson which left me pouring with sweat - probably just what I needed!
In the evening, I had a quiet word with myself and decided that this has gone on too long. Four weeks of not training properly has left me soft and flabby - at this point I would be embarrassed to take my shirt off in public: but I'm going on holiday in 6 weeks and want to be in the sea with the kids! Even if I haven't got time to train, I must make sure I resist the booze and junkfood.
Tomorrow is day 1...again.




No comments:

Post a Comment