. .

Search This Blog

Monday, December 2, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in your Forties (6 days to go!)

Monday
Riding in the rain yesterday was a mistake. I had a coughing fit in the night and ended up sleeping in the spare room so I didn't keep Lucy awake.
I cycled in to work. My voice was little more than a croak. One member of staff questioned whether I was well enough to be in college today!
I did some weight training at home (as always, making sure to lift just a little bit heavier than I did last time.)
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Tuesday
I cycled in to work and back.
This evening's Karate session was a mock grading for all belts. We blasted through the kihon and then kata. We didn't get to go through all of the kumite because we ran out of time. I felt that things had gone pretty well but Martha was a little disheartened.
At the end, Sensei Lloyd approached me and was very complimentary about my kata. He actually used the word 'perfect' but I know he didn't mean it, he was merely boosting my confidence. I don't think anyone in the history of Karate has ever performed a kata perfectly, I certainly haven't!
In contrast, Sensei Joey approached me two minutes later to tell me that I was too tense in my kata!
One of Ruach's strengths is that there are many different black belts to give you lots of different feedback!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday
I cycled in to work. In the morning sports lesson I set up a circuit of 9 exercises. The lads and I went round the circuit twice spending 30 seconds on each exercise. It certainly got me red faced and sweaty!
After lessons, Martha came in to college and we went back to the sports hall for another circuit led by Mr Roger. This was a 10 exercise circuit and we went round three times spending one minute on each circuit! Phew! I found that I was okay at the running, skipping, press ups, squats and similar, but the core exercises were really hard, especially v-sits.
I then cycled home in the rain!
Circuit training (twice), no junkfood, no alcohol

Thursday
I used the car today because Lucy and I had to stay late at work.
I managed to fit in a full weight session tonight in a very short amount of time. I was able to lift heavier than I have for about a year!
Weights session, no junkfood, no alcohol

Friday
I cycled to work and back.
Tonight's Karate session was a mock grading for all belts. We 1st kyus got to do lots of basics and plenty of kata. We didn't practise any ju ippon, however. This is a concern but Sensei Gary assured us that Sensei Tony will be taking us through some kumite next week.
Unbelievably, I injured my fingers yet again. And it's without doubt the most embarrassing injury I've ever had. Tired, trying to keep up with a much younger black belt, and giving it 100%, I managed to catch the fingers of my left hand on the fist of my right as I blocked across my body. My fingers were bent back and the pain was enough to make me dizzy. The digits swelled up immediately but I chose to just carry on rather than mess about with ice and first aid forms.
Needless to say, the swelling and pain got worse as the night went on.
Back at the house, I found myself home alone. I somehow resisted a beer! 
A couple of hours later I went to rescue the ladies when their car had frozen solid at the train station!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Saturday
The fingers on my left hand were puffy and painful and I couldn't make a fist. If they don't get any better by next week, there's no point grading.
Sensei Tony's Karate session was a strange one - but just what I needed: After stretching, he let the 1st kyus prepare themselves for their grading next week. This meant that we could practise kihon and kata at our own pace, in any order we wished, and take a drink when we needed it. It was great to use the wooden floors and mirrors to really work on my form. I was dripping with sweat when I'd finished and the gi went straight in the wash when I got home!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Sunday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
The fingers were much better this morning. Still swollen, but much more mobile.
After another mock grading at Cocks Moors Woods (a very sweaty session!) Martha and I accompanied Sensei Gary on the Ruach instructors' Christmas day out! Obviously, Martha and I aren't instructors so we were very surprised and grateful to be invited along. Two hours after getting changed we found ourselves sitting in racing go-karts at a track in Lichfield! It was bitterly cold as the sun began to set but 11 Ruach racers were eager to get started on the practise laps. We had been given the safety briefing along with crash helmets, overalls and ineffectively thin gloves. The karts we were using were capable of getting up to 40mph and we were ready to test them out!
After a few qualifying laps, it was clear that Sensei Ronnie was the fastest racer and he was given pole position. The rest of us lined up behind him on the grid – just like in formula one.



We then had 30 minutes to race. The wet road surfaces glistened under the flood lights as the sun went down. The roar of the engines was intoxicating as each racer went bumper to bumper, often quite literally, with his or her fellow competitors. Young Sensei Dan was Sensei Ronnie’s closest rival and they battled it out, getting quickly on the throttle out of the corners and braking as late as possible, if at all! Sensei Gary set a more sedate pace as the menacing back marker, daring people to try to get past him. The cold was making it difficult, with many of us finding that, by the end of the race, our fingers had gone completely numb. If you fancy trying go-karting in December, thick gloves are a definite must! The pain in my fingers was breathtaking and there were times when it distracted me from the racing.
After half an hour, Sensei Ronnie has lapped many of us three times. Despite the best efforts of Sensei Joey, Sensei Lloyd and the other instructors, Sensei Ronnie proved to be a black belt in motor racing too!
After that fantastic experience, we headed off to the Potting Shed Cafe for chicken and rice with cups of hot te
a. Many of the others, including Martha, had big helpings of cake and ice cream. Although sorely tempted, I managed to resist. 
Another good thing about this dinner, as well as the lovely grub, was all the grading advice I was being given by the experienced instructors.
Back at home, I filled the gaps with homemade shepherd's pie followed by a late night bowl of no-added-sugar-muesli. I was still hungry!
Many thanks to Sensei Gary for taking us on a marvellous day out.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


No comments:

Post a Comment