. .

Search This Blog

Monday, July 30, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 37)

Monday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
Blood Pressure: 150/84
Resting Heart Rate: 59
That blood pressure reading really isn't good.
The heatwave continues. According to Planet Rock news, today was the hottest day of the year.
I spent most of the day in my man cave, updating this blog, doing my finances (it's payday!) and parcelling stuff that I've sold on eBay.
I cycled to the Post Office and back and then had a very healthy lunch of chicken with courgette fritters!
I did a weight lifting session this afternoon and, although I felt like I was suffocating in the heat, I managed to get through the hour. What I was really pleased about was that, even though my forearm is still very tender, I managed to to do 5x5 barbell curls at 32kg. It felt great to be able to curl the bar again, even at a light weight.
On a high from my successful lifting session, I felt a new determination: I will get my weight down and I will reduce my blood pressure.
I cooked a healthy dinner for Lucy, Martha and myself and then, as the sun went down, Monty and I sat in the backgarden to read comic books and watch the bats fly overhead.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Blood Pressure: 168/76
Resting Heart Rate: 59
Another very hot day.
Martha and I went along to the dojo, sure that the instructors would take it easy on us because of the heat. As soon as I got there, Sensei Jody beat me up! I'm sure I deserved it and it will toughen me up. I lined up with a throbbing shoulder and foot to go with my aching leg! Tonight's Karate session was in two distinct halves: With Sensei Gary, the senior grades (that includes Martha and myself) were drilled through some lower grade kihon - just to sharpen up our basics. Essential stuff!
With Sensei Lloyd, the pace was more relaxed and we focused on three high grade kata: Jion, Hangetsu and Empi (Enpi). I thought I was doing okay until the end of the lesson when Sensei Jody and Sensei Lloyd ganged up on me to explain that I'm far too tense in my movements and that I would benefit from being more relaxed.
If there's one thing I've learned in 18 years of martial arts it's that there is always something to work on to improve!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Blood Pressure: 153/86
Resting Heart Rate: 58
I woke up early with a bad stomach.
After the cramps had eased off and I'd had my breakfast, I wheeled my road bike out of the garage for a quick service. I set off into the lanes just before 9am with two sheets of handwritten directions in my jersey pocket. I followed a route I had done once before in 2014 which I called The Coughton Sunburn.
Once again, it was a very hot day but with a little more cloud cover than there has been recently. I was still covered in factor 30! I'm pleased to report that I only took one wrong turn during the entire 50 mile ride, and that was in the first 5 miles! The route took me to some beautiful places, not least of which is Sambourne. It's the sort of place where I'd like to take Lucy for lunch.
I had to stop a lot, mostly to consult the directions in my backpocket. It was a very hilly first 20 miles. These two things, when coupled with the heat, saw my average drop to 13.1mph by the time I reached Wilmcote.
I enjoyed a cup of tea but shied away from the cake. I gobbled up three Weetabix instead!
After an in-depth conversation with Eric about soundbars, I headed back out for the last 15 miles of effort. I tried hard to get the average back up to 13.4mph which was my speed the only other time I rode this route. Unfortunately, despite going eyeballs-out on the last flat 3 miles home, I only managed to reach 13.3mph over 52 miles. Still, losing 0.1mph of speed when I'm 4 years older isn't too bad?


300 feet more climbing than our usual 50 mile route.

In the evening, I cooked a healthy chicken chow mein for the family and didn't think about the cold beers in the fridge. I read The Old Man and the Sea in the backgarden.
Cycling, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Blood Pressure: 138/83
Resting Heart Rate: 66
I didn't wake up until 8:15am. I was hoping to get up earlier than that to beat the heat. It was an amazingly hot day. Somehow, I managed to drag my old flabby self around a 10K run in a time of 63 minutes and 32 seconds. Considering the heat and the 52 miles I put in the legs yesterday, I think I did okay. For an old flabby guy.
In the afternoon, I visited my friend to help her connect her iPad to her printer. Then I reclined in the back garden to read the first 52 pages of Bruce Dickinson's autobiography. While not exactly fascinating (he hasn't mentioned Iron Maiden yet but he has told us all about his schooldays) it's clear that Bruce is a splendid wordsmith and a genuinely funny writer. I laughed out loud at least twice. I'm looking forward to reading more.
While dinner was cooking, Lucy offered me a drink and I couldn't resist a cold pint of Black Sheep pale ale, followed by another, followed by a crisp cider! I also found myself munching chocolate a bit later on while playing Final Fantasy 15!
10K run, 3 pints, 1 Toblerone

Friday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
Blood Pressure: 154/77
Resting Heart Rate: 64
Yet another hot, sweaty day but with more cloud than we've seen recently.
I leapt onto the bike and went shopping in Solihull. On the way home, the back tyre punctured! I fixed that at the side of the road, thankful for the fact that these Specialized tyres seem so much easier to fit than the Continentals.
The rest of the day was spent walking the dogs and then putting stuff on eBay before collecting Martha and her friends from Solihull. I also stopped for lunch and watched some of stage 19 of the Tour de France.
Tonight's Karate session was superb. Fridays are the best night to get stuck into your training. I don't learn anything new on Fridays, but I get to practise what I do know. Sensei Russell, like me, is a creature of habit. He does exactly the same warm-up every Friday, followed by Kihon and Kata with Kumite to end. Every time! This suits me down to the ground - I love routine and knowing what to expect.
As far as Ashi Barai is concerned, I got caught once but managed to catch two different people with my own attempt at it! Getting there! Sensei Jody wasn't there tonight so I didn't get to try it out for real.
By the end of the session, all I could do was sit on the floor and breathe and marvel at how red-faced and sweaty I was!
Lucy was out so I made a healthy dinner for myself and watched the highlights of the Tour.
At 9, I went to fetch Lucy from the pub. There was a miscommunication between us and I arrived half an hour early. I got to sit in a Shirley pub listening to chavs swearing and shouting at each other while drinking lager and alcopops. Lucy did offer to buy me a pint but I managed to resist.
At home, I drank water and played an hour of Final Fantasy 15 before bed.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Blood Pressure: 132/79
Resting Heart Rate: 58
I cycled in to Solihull and back to get the last of the presents for Martha's birthday tomorrow. After a horrible and very healthy lunch (tinned tuna and frozen vegetables), Lucy and I did a big shop.
Martha and I attended the Saturday afternoon dojo session. It was a tiny class - only 7 students in total! Sensei Gary was in a great mood (as he seems to be for the vast majority of the time) and he gave us lots to work on. I'm having a real issue with my footwork at the moment and he made sure I knew about this. He also said that some of my kicks were looking good, which I'm pleased about. Good teaching techniques there, Sensei: a bit of praise and some areas for improvement!
Martha and I finished the session sweaty and happy.
The Saturday dojo is really good fun and is a great place for learners to start. The wooden floor and the mirrors really help too. Book your place here.
I ate a healthy homemade dinner and then sipped three beers while watching a crap film (The Mountain Between Us.)
Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers

Sunday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Blood Pressure: 152/73
Resting Heart Rate: 54
I'm considering speaking to my doctor about my blood pressure. It doesn't look good, does it?
Today is Martha's birthday! 
After watching her open her presents I scurried off to my man cave to bash out an hour of weight lifting. After a light lunch I took Martha, Vicky and Peter (two of the old D&D crew) to do some indoor rock climbing. Martha is fearless and got to the top of all 4 climbs. Peter was super fast and confident and scaled everything. Vicky was determined and got up everything eventually. I was crap and only made it to the top of the first three climbs! My technique was rubbish (it's only the second time I've tried it) and made my arms ache. 


Martha and Peter - fearless and fast!

Happy birthday, Martha!
In the evening, the family, minus Mouse who is currently trekking in Ecuador, went out for birthday drinks in Solihull. When we got home, everyone went to bed apart from Jack and me. We stayed up late watching Alien and drinking more beer!
Weight training, rock climbing, junkfood, 7 beers!

No comments:

Post a Comment