. .

Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 25)

Monday
Weight: 10st 1lb
I went to bed at 2:30am after drinking far, far too much with family.
I came crashing back to consciousness at about 10am and was greeted with a shocking headache. Lucy made me a big fry-up breakfast and then I went back to bed for a bit.
In the afternoon, I managed to walk the dogs around the park.
In the evening, I indulged in some homemade cheesecake and then, being the Bank Holiday, Lucy and I treated ourselves to a few more drinks and watched the excellent new Spiderman film!
No exercise, junkfood, 4 bottles of beer.

Tuesday
Tonight's Karate session was a kumite-based session with some kata to finish. Sensei Mark was the only instructor teaching and so we had to wait a long time while he explained things to the lower grades. I ended up partnered with a beginner for a lot of the lesson.
Sensei Mark had us doing press-ups which are not normally a problem until he asked us to do them on our knuckles! I was dismayed to find that 5 was my maximum! After that, the pain in my hands was too great and I couldn't force myself to do any more. I think I've discovered a new challenge - I want to be able to do 25 knuckle press-ups on the gym floor before the end of the year.
I ate healthily all day and didn't drink alcohol. Back in training!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
Blood pressure: 133/82
Resting heart rate: 49
This morning, I cycled in to work and back to get some lessons ready for after the holiday. While I was there, my GP finally called me about the heart monitor test I had in January. She did her best to explain the technical letter to me stating that sometimes my heart slowed down, sometimes it sped up and sometimes it added an extra beat. She then cheerily added that I had nothing to worry about. I asked her a few questions such as:

  • Why was this happening now and not before?
  • What was causing it?
  • Could it get worse?
  • What's the best thing to do when it happens?
  • What can I do to stop it happening?
  • Is it a concern that my resting heart rate is so low?

She couldn't answer any of my questions so she has now agreed to write to the cardiologist to arrange for someone who can answer those questions to contact me. I imagine I have another three month wait ahead of me...
In the afternoon, I did a good, heavy weights session - my heaviest for 12 months! Afterwards, all I could do was sit in the man-cave drinking milk while my arms and legs were shaking. I couldn't even find the energy to get up to put a record on! It felt great. Later on, I did 5 knuckle press-ups on the kitchen floor.
I cooked my famous Mexican scrambled eggs for a healthy protein boost.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
Up at 7 to witness a glorious sunny morning. I had a healthy breakfast and watched some of Steve Austin's ridiculous Broken Skull Challenge. At 11, I set off for a 10K run in the sunshine. I found it hard going at first but managed to find my rhythm after about a mile and a half. I checked my time at each mile and was surprised to find that I was going well - it didn't feel quick at all! By the end of the run, pouring with sweat in the sunshine, I was pleased to find I had completed it in my fastest time so far this year! Not fast by most people's standards, but good for me.
After an enormous lunch of a whole head of broccoli, a packet of noodles, and a tin of tuna with beetroot, I took the dogs out for a walk in the sunshine. It was warm enough to go out in my shorts.
When I got back, I took the opportunity to clean and service the Raleigh and the Specialized in the sunshine with faithful Monty lending a hand (paw.)
In the evening, Martha and I went out for a 1.5 mile run. She kept the pace high but suffered with side stitch again. She was only a second slower than last week.
In the evening, I enjoyed Lucy's homemade meatballs in tomato sauce and managed to resist a beer.
Run: 10K in 61m 03s, Run: 1.5 miles, no junkfood, no alcohol

Friday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Up at 8am. Watched some weight lifting in the Commonwealth Games and was inspired by Gareth Evans' win. I fully intended to pick up the weights this morning until Lucy pointed out that it was far too nice 'to be stuck indoors.' She was right, of course.
This morning, I finally bought what I hope is a half-decent saddle to replace the atrocity that's currently on the Specialized and that numbs my gentleman's area every weekend. I've ordered it from eBay and I hope it gets here before the March Hare.
I set off into the lanes at midday. It very quickly became apparent that I had nothing in the legs after yesterday's two runs (a total of 7.9 miles.) I was struggling into a 15mph headwind and I even had to pedal going downhill at times! Embarrassingly, by the time I had conquered Ireland's Lane and was heading up to The Punchbowl, my average had slumped to 13.1mph. I managed to drag some back on the flat on the way home and finished empty and aching at 13.7mph after only 19 miles...
I had a banana and a slice of dry bread before heading off to the dojo for this evening's karate session.
Tonight was one of the best sessions I've ever taken part in at Ruach. It was entirely kumite based and we even got to do some sparring at the end. I managed to land two uraken attacks (back fist) on two different opponents - both of whom were higher grades than me. I also went up against Sensei Russell who amazed me with the speed and accuracy of his kicks. As usual, I was lucky enough to work with Sensei Jody for most of the sparring. I managed to land one attack on him which I'm very pleased about. He managed to land hundreds on me... The session ended with Sensei Jody decking me and pummeling me on the floor. Priceless training!
If anyone reading this blog would like to try Karate for free, for a week, get in touch and I'll set it up for you. The sessions are based in the Solihull, Bromsgrove, Stratford, Shirley and Kings Heath areas.
Martha and I got back from the dojo to find we had guests. Two of Lucy's lovely friends from work had arrived and were well into their cups of wine in the backgarden. I set the chiminea burning and joined them for drinks. Unfortunately, all of my training and abstinence this week was cast aside for a drunken party until 1am. I staggered to bed knowing I'd hate myself in the morning.
Bike ride: 19 miles, Karate session, no junkfood, 3 beers and most of a bottle of red.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
I hate myself.
I gasped awake at 7am with a shocking headache. I took some aspirin and hugged my pillow until about 9 when  I was able to make a fry-up for Lucy and myself. All I could think about was how I'd ruined all my good work this week. Until last night I was feeling fit and strong and was focused on my grading at the end of the month. Now I felt like shit.
However, I'm determined to get back to a healthy lifestyle as soon as possible. The only trouble is, we're having a dinner party tonight...
By the time Martha and I arrived at dojo, I was feeling a lot better, but still nowhere near my best. I was hoping for a quiet, easy lesson with lots of standing around and talking. No chance! Sensei Gary had us going through our basics followed by a kumite line-up. I was even at the front at one point. I was very grateful to Sensei Tony for not knocking my head off when he crashed through my defense and his gloved fist stopped on the tip of my nose! At the end of the session, we ran through some kata and I tried my hand at Jion before concentrating on Bassai Dai.


As soon as we got home, the party was in full swing! Needless to say, this involved treats, cake and a few drinks! I managed to get to bed before 11pm.
Karate, junkfood, 3 bottles of ale.

Sunday
I struggled out of bed at 7:20am. I didn't feel too bad. After brekkie I cycled up to Jonnie and we set off for a very pleasant fifty miles in the surrounding countryside. There was no wind, hardly any rain and the lanes were mostly dry. To be honest, it was a fairly uneventful ride. I think I may have been a little stronger today (we seem to take it in turns to have the better legs each weekend) but Jonnie still put in a fantastic effort to get back with a 14.3mph average.
Back at Jonnie's place, we had cheese on toast, a couple of beers and cheered Peter Sagan to victory at Paris Roubaix! It wasn't until later that we learned of the terribly sad death of a young Belgian rider Michael Goolaerts. He'd crashed on one of the cobbled sections and died later in hospital.

Later in the evening, MontyDog and I met a nice chap at a train station who had bought my turbo trainer on eBay. It turns out that he is a very serious cyclist and his average speed, according to Strava, is over 17mph! I bet he doesn't refuel with cheese and beer...
Tonight, the family gathered around the table for one of Lucy's huge Sunday dinners. Later on, I relaxed on the couch with chocolate and a beer...
Cycling: 50 miles at 14.3mph, junkfood, 4 bottles of ale






No comments:

Post a Comment