. .

Search This Blog

Monday, September 25, 2017

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 40)

Monday
10st 5lbs
With poor Eric still in hospital, there was no chance for any exercise today. I still managed to cycle to work and back before we set off to visit him. I'm pleased to report that he was sitting up in bed, cracking jokes and discussing Game of Thrones with us. It seems that he might not have to have surgery after all. Phew.
Home at about 9pm for a feast of a 3 egg omelette and a tin of beans on toast!
No junkfood, no booze, no exercise.

Tuesday
I cycled to work and back. Martha and I went along to dojo. As you may remember from part 38, we have entered a karate competition next month in an effort to restore Martha's enthusiasm for martial arts. Tonight, it was the first squad training session! Only those who had entered the competition were allowed to train with Sensei Julian Cunningham. There were about 14 of us being put through our paces. It was a purely kumite-focused lesson which was a little disappointing for those of us aiming for gold in the kata, but it was still an inspiring session. I was partnered with black belts for the whole hour which is great experience in itself.
No booze, no junkfood.


Wednesday
In the morning, I had some blood tests done at the local surgery and then headed off to work. In the evening, I did a strong weight lifting session inspired by some Meshuggah tracks! I lifted heavier than I have since my injury in March.
No junkfood, no booze.


Thursday
I cycled in to work. This afternoon, I did a martial arts based warm-up with the Sports group and then set up a circuit with them. We did press-ups, tricep dips, leg raises, battle rope, medicine ball squats, skipping rope, bench step-ups, punching focus pads, punching a heavy bag, and jumps over mini-hurdles. We did 30 seconds on each activity and we went round twice! After that, I organised a press-ups in one minute competition. I won with 68 press-ups in 60 seconds. The lad in second place managed 40. I'm not suggesting these teenagers aren't as strong or as fit as I am - what they seem to be lacking is the ability to suffer a bit of discomfort and the desire to push through to better themselves. I will be trying to develop these qualities in them over the next eight months.
I cycled home and then set off on my weekly 10K run. The cycling and circuit-training served as a very good warm up and I felt strong tonight. I set a time of 61 minutes and 38 seconds which is reasonably fast for me!
Back at home, Lucy had prepared a wonderfully healthy dinner of fish, vegetables and brown rice. I'm living like an athlete today!
No junkfood, no booze.

Friday
I cycled in to work. In the afternoon I had a call from a doctor. My blood tests came back fine (apart from cholesterol) but my ECG results have diagnosed me with Incomplete Right Bundle Branch Block. Now, the words 'incomplete' and 'block' aren't the kind of words you want to hear when associated with your heart so it was a bit of a shock. I asked her to say it again, which she did! She then explained that I could carry on with the Tommy Godwin challenge and that I should keep exercising. I have an appointment with a cardiologist in about 6 weeks time.
I tried to refocus for the rest of the afternoon and not fixate on my dodgy heart finding.
After work, I rode 15 gentle miles and then enjoyed a night out of curry and beer with Lucy, Jonnie and Sally! What would my cardiologist say!?

Saturday
Up early for a busy day. I took some parcels to the post office and then went toy shopping for a 3 year old's birthday! After a quick visit with Jonnie, I returned home for lunch and then set about fixing a radiator cover to the kitchen wall. I jumped in the shower at 2 and then took part in the 3pm karate session at the Village Hotel.
It was the hardest session I've done since the days when I trained with Sensei Paul Hexley 13 years ago! Sensei Mark led this basics and kata session and he really pushed us. I was expected to do combinations at full speed with no rest in between. I was okay at first, but the more tired I got, the more my combinations got mixed up. It was exhausting. By the end of it, I was bright red, with sweat running down my face.
I tried not to think about my heart!
After that, Lucy and I went to the birthday party with Sally, Harry and Jess.
I dropped Tilly and Amy at the NEC to see a Korean rapper.
At home, I had a beer with dinner and then picked up Tilly and Amy at 11pm. I finally got to bed at midnight.
No junkfood.

Sunday
The day of the Tommy Godwin Challenge! Jonnie arrived at 8:40 and by 9 we were spinning the pedals out towards the Solihull Hospice. Unfortunately, my bro was unable to join us due to a bout of manflu. We met Nigel, Young Chris and Cheesey Pete, and then found we were standing on the wrong side of the start line! We hurried to the back of the queue and had quite a long wait to get going.

About to set off for the start line.
Straining at the leash...
We were extremely lucky with the weather and as the day went on, the sky brightened and it started to feel like summer again. As usual, there were all manner of bikes out on the ride. We saw tandems, mountain bikes, hybrids and steel-framed classics. The first half of the ride was a delight with plenty of quiet country lanes to roll along. Chris and Pete set a good pace and eventually disappeared up the road. That left the three amigos pushing along just like any other Sunday. Jonnie was on a charge and it took some protests from both Nigel and myself to get him to ease up! We learned that the secret was substituting his usual marmalade for damson jam at breakfast! As we started to near the halfway point, Nigel went on a breakaway and we didn't see him again until the feed station at 31 miles!
It turns out that Pete and Chris had gone to the wrong feed station and they eventually rolled in behind us. After some bananas and tea, we set off together into the lanes. 
An example of the quiet lanes on the first half of the route.

Cooling off the feet.
The second half was on some considerably busier roads than we'd seen previously. However, it also included some great climbing! I got stuck into Astwood Bank, managing to close the gap on Pete but failing to get anywhere near Chris. The lads decided to park up and wait for Nigel and Jonnie but, in danger of cramping, I decided to roll on at a gentle average and let them catch me. So I rolled on, keeping the speed at around 13mph...and I rolled on alone for 8 miles before Pete and Chris caught me but there was still no sign of my regular riding buddies! Eventually, at the 51 mile point, I pulled over and waited. Nigel and Jonnie weren't far behind and it transpired that Jonnie had taken a wrong turn earlier which explained why they hadn't caught me.
We rode on together into the sunshine on familiar lanes. As we returned to Solihull, the chaos all the riders were causing to traffic was quite obvious. It was all a bit moody on the roads, particularly with the BMW and Range Rover drivers charging past on blind corners. (It was also obvious that I need a new saddle. The second-hand one that I've been using since the original broke is simply not comfortable over longer distances. I was in considerable discomfort in the last ten miles.)
Nigel went on a charge over the last couple of miles but he waited for us at the end. We crossed the finishing line together with a time of 5 hours and 43 seconds. We had covered 63 miles at 14.5mph.
We then limped back to my place where Jonnie had a mishap with a kerb. We refreshed ourselves with beer, crisps and hummus.


The Weekend Warriors were victorious. 
Jonnie left after 2 beers but Nigel stayed with me watching old rock videos and drinking ales until he was thoroughly refreshed!
Another highly enjoyable, well organised ride. We'll be back again next year.

(You can read Nigel's review of the ride on his blog Diary of a Mamil.)



5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good ride had by all, A day well spent for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good ride. And we only put in half the effort you did!

      Delete
  2. A good summary of the ride - glad we crossed the line together, seemed the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't figure out how to put photos into my blog, must remember to ask you to show me one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy for a techno wiz like you. I'll show you next time you're here or I'm there.

      Delete