. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 2)

Monday
Up early to eat an orange and then to stagger around the block for 1.5 miles. I actually ran it at 9m27s pace which is quite fast for me!
Home for cornflakes.
Back to work!
I cycled the 4.5 miles to work.
It's enrolment week at the college so staff went in to help out and enrol some new students.
I was very healthy until about 2:30pm when I cracked and headed to the canteen for armfuls of unhealthy food! I left work at 7pm and cycled back.
At home, it was all about relaxing with Mouse, Tilly and Lucy. We were glued to the TV, enjoying lots of naughty food, and I had a few drinks (I only had lager in the house but it's pay day tomorrow!)

Exercise
Run: 1.5 miles at 9:27 pace
Cycled to work and back (9miles)

Booze

2 x lager (300ml bottles)
A whisky

Food

Orange
Cornflakes with semi-skimmed milk
Cheese salad sandwich on brown bread
Kitkat
2 x coffee
Bounty
Bag of crisps
Two huge bowls of Lucy's homemade beef chili with rice
Garlic bread
Profiteroles with chocolate sauce.


Tuesday
Resting Heart Rate: 46
Today was hot! Unfortunately, I had to go in to work for enrolment in the morning but was able to get out of there at about 1:30pm (after loads of tea and biccies!) The cycle home in the sunshine involved a stop off at Scotts cycles to investigate a loud creaking sound on my 70s Raleigh Carlton bike.
At home, I got the tools out and worked on the bike following the instructions that Pete had given me at the shop. It was great feeling working with my hands outdoors in the sunshine. The creaking has stopped and now the bike sounds super (almost silent!)
Next, I did a bit of housework, and then promptly fell asleep in the backgarden while reading comics.
I woke up in time to get showered and changed ready for Karate. Martha and I attended a fast-paced sweaty session that covered basics, kata and kumite.
Back home for more TV and beer...

Exercise
Cycled to work and back (9 miles)
One hour of Karate training

Booze

2 x lager (300ml bottles)

Food

Peanut butter on 2 wholemeal toast
Cup of Redbush tea
2 x cups of Earl Grey tea
6 biscuits
1 peanut cookie
A tube of Smarties
Leftover beef chili with wholewheat pasta


Wednesday
Cycled in to work and managed to resist the junkfood. I had an apple instead! Cycled home in the glorious sunshine for a light lunch of chicken and vegetable soup (from a tin.) The lanes were calling me so I jumped on the road bike and set off to do my original Snitterfield 36 route. I didn't take any food with me and only picked up one bidon...

Calm, confident, doomed.


Everything was going well until I'd cycled about 24 miles. I was averaging 16mph for the first 5 miles and then the climbs chipped away at this until I was going at 14.5 mph. Not too bad. But at 24 miles I first noticed how very hungry I was. I don't think there are many calories in a small tin of soup. Then the legs started to complain...
At this point I wasn't too far from Jane and Eric's house. I nearly turned around and headed over to them for cake and tea but I was determined to avoid the junkfood today. So I carried on.
At about 28 miles I was starting to suffer. I was having difficulty holding the bike at 12mph even on the flat! This was bad.
I decided I'd call in at the Winged Spur in Ullenhall and see what they had on their menu. But when I got to Ullenhall, the pub was closed and advertised for sale!
I only had a dribble of water left in the bottle.

"I'm fucked," I whispered to myself.

Spinning a tiny gear to get home, I was overtaken by another rider who shouted hello at me.

"Got any food?!" I shouted after him. He braked and rode along side me while I explained my situation. He didn't have any food but he asked me how far I had to go. When I told him I had 7 miles to travel, it looked like he was going to ride it with me. I explained to him that there was nothing to be done and that he should carry on and enjoy his ride.
So off he went. Nice chap.

By the time I got to Tom Hill I had no water left and my mouth was so dry it was hard to swallow. I almost threw up on the climb. I span the gears in the little ring and eventually made it to Jonnie's house where I drank an ale with him and told my tale of woe.
Back at home, I chomped on a banana and set about making a healthy dinner for the family.
Later, I tried to watch the Vuelta but I started nodding off. I poured the last half of my beer away and made myself a coffee instead.
No junkfood today.

Exercise

Road ride: 35.8 miles at 13.2mph
Cycled to work and back (9 miles)

Booze

2 and a half bottles of ale

Food

Pink grapefruit juice (100% not from concentrate)
Cup of redbush tea
2 x peanut butter on wholemeal toast
Coffee
Apple
Chicken and vegetable soup (tinned)
Banana
Homemade Mexican scrambled eggs (with peppers, onions, wholemeal tortilla, mushrooms, tomatoes) and homemade potato paprika wedges.
Coffee



Thursday
Got up early to take the lad next door to the coach station. Back at home for about 8:15am so I took the opportunity to do some light weight training. It was a very warm day so I got very sweaty during the hour's lifting. However, I didn't strain any muscles and my back felt okay.
Martha made cake...
In the afternoon, the family went for a walk around the Lickey Hills. We covered 4 miles and got a bit wet and muddy.

Lickey Hills: I miss mountain biking here.

In the evening, I had a big dinner, watched some TV, drank some beer and ate some pudding!

Exercise:

100 press ups
100 triceps dips
100 leg raises
Deadlift (54kg) 5 sets of 5 lifts
Barbell Shrugs (48kg) 5x5
Squats (30kg) 5x5
Barbell curls (29kg)
Side raises (6.5kg) 5x5
Dumb bell curls (17kg) 5x5

Booze

1 bottle of stout
1 bottle of black IPA

Food

Pink grapefruit juice
Cornflakes and cheerios with semi-skimmed milk
Peanut butter on 2 wholemeal toast
4 peanut cookies
2 x Earl Grey tea
Lucy's homemade tomato soup with wholemeal tortilla
2 slices of homemade lemon drizzle cake
2 burgers with mushrooms, onions, potatoes, rice, homegrown green beans and salad
3 fancy chocolates
1 bowl of chocolate ice cream.

Friday
I got up far too early this morning so I went for a run with Tilly.
After that, I joined Sensei Gary Beggan of Ruach Karate for a cycle ride in the country lanes. We headed down to Lowsonford in the glorious sunshine. We headed back on much the same route taking in a detour through Packwood House along the way. It had been quite a while since Sensei Gary had been on a bike and he showed his strength and determination to keep going even when it was apparent that he was in quite some discomfort.
In the afternoon, the family went for a walk along the Grand Union and Stratford-Upon-Avon Canals.
A little later, Martha and I headed off for an excellent Karate session at Tudor Grange leisure centre. Sensei Mark placed the emphasis of the lesson on correct stance and technique. A thoroughly enjoyable basics workout.
In the evening, Lucy and I indulged in lots of tasty food and watched The Night Manager on the BBC.
No alcohol tonight.

Exercise

7 minute run
15.8 mile bicycle ride at 9.5mph.
3.2 mile walk
Karate lesson

Booze

None

Food

Cup of redbush tea
Glass of pink grapfruit juice
Peanut butter on 2 wholemeal toast
Banana
Homemade lemon drizzle cake
Cup of Earl Grey tea
5 fish fingers with noodles and salad
Homemade sausage casserole with wholewheat pasta and homegrown green beans
2 fancy chocolates
Bowl of chocolate ice cream

Saturday

I got up late. I made breakfast for Lucy and myself and then set about lifting some weights. Again, I'm keeping it light for now but I was still aching after an hour and the overhead presses were really hard for some reason. I did some stretching afterwards too.
This afternoon, Ruach Karate club took part in the I am Team GB event by promoting our club at Stratford Leisure Centre and inviting people to take part for free. Sensei Gary asked if I would help out and, of course, I jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, not many people took us up on our offer of free training, but at least I got a good work-out at Stratford this afternoon!

Free Karate at Stratford Leisure Centre


I drove back home to help out Lucy doing some jobs around the house and then kicked back with homemade curry, some ales and quality TV (including The Night Manager and highlights of the Vuelta.)


Exercise:

100 press-ups
100 triceps dips
100 leg raises
Barbell Shrugs (48kg): 5 sets of 5
Barbell curls (30kg): 5x5
Dumb bell curls (17kg): 5x5
Side raises (6.5kg): 5x5
Front raises (8kg): 5x5
Overhead Press (29kg): 5x5

One hour Karate training


Booze:

1 bottle of dark ale
1 bottle of stout

Food:

Glass of pink grapefruit and orange juice (100% not from concentrate)
Cup of redbush tea
Bacon, eggs and homegrown tomatoes on wholemeal toast
Banana
2 cups of Earl Grey tea
2 slices of homemade drizzle cake
Homemade chicken curry with homegrown tomatoes and green beans served with naan, basmati rice and onion bhajis.
Bowl of chocolate ice cream.
2 fancy chocolates


Sunday
Up at 7:20am for a healthy breakfast. Then I leaped on to the race bike and headed off to call for Jonnie. We steamed off into the lanes towards Honiley. It wasn't a bright day but it was dry and warm and by the time we got to Wilmcote at 15.0mph we were both quite sweaty! We refuelled on homemade cake and tea before launching ourselves towards Aston Cantlow and the lanes home.
Back at Jonnie's, enjoying a recovery lager, we looked at his Strava results: We had covered 40 miles at 14.9mph which I thought was decent but Strava disagreed. Apparently our time today was rather slow compared to our usual performance.
Oh well, must try harder.
I cycled home to enjoy the remains of last night's curry.

Jonnie flying up a hill (but not as fast as we thought) towards the end of today's ride.
In the afternoon, the gang headed over to Nigel's to experience the full barbeque and beer treatment at the Snooty Fox - his garden bar. We had a lovely time and I got to chat with Andy - another keen cyclist friend of Nigel's whom I've ridden with once before. Nigel asked if I fancied a ride in the morning and of course I said yes!
I spent the rest of the time at the party eating and drinking lots with Jonnie! Lucy was kind enough to drive us home!
Back at base, I drank tea, ate cake, sipped water and watched the last episode of The Night Manager.

Exercise:

Road bike ride: 41.5 miles at 14.9mph.

Booze:

1 bottle of lager (300ml)
2 bottles of ale
2 small glasses of red wine

Food:

Peanut butter on 2 slices of wholemeal toast
Orange juice
Cup of redbush tea
Banana
Homemade lemon cake
Cup of tea
Homemade chicken and veg curry
Hotdog from the barbeque
Key lime pie with strawberries
Cup of Earl Grey tea
Homemade drizzle cake


Weekly Summary
I exercised for 7 of the 7 days
I ate healthily on 1 day
I stayed sober on 1 day
This is just a tiny improvement on last week but at least I'm heading in the right direction. Next week I'll continue to exercise every day and I'll try to improve the diet!


No comments:

Post a Comment