. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Fat Belly Training - Week Three

Monday - 10st 7lbs
The pain was bad this morning. I couldn't drive, I couldn't even dress myself. Lucy drove me to college, where other members of staff suggested I really should consult a doctor. I called up my GP before lessons started and she told me to go and get an X-ray on my shoulder.
My first lesson of the day was in the gym where I supervised the construction lads lifting weights but frustratingly was unable to join in!
After work, Lucy dropped me off at A&E Solihull. I was there for exactly 3 hours - from 6.50 until 9.50. During that time, I witnessed two 16 year old victims of a mugging stagger in as well as a woman in her 50s in mega-high heels who had just fallen in the street. Worryingly, there was also a chav family who had brought in a toddler with a broken arm. The mother was screaming at an older man in a tracksuit that she was a good mother. And I quote: "I was only drinking Redbull! How can I be a bad mother? SHE'S WEARING A £50 COAT!"
Apparently, it doesn't matter if your child has broken bones as long as he or she is wearing expensive clothes. As might be expected, the hospital staff couldn't find the mother when it was time for the toddler's cast to be put on - she was outside smoking cigarettes.
Anyhoo, I was eventually X-rayed by a tiny Indian lady with cold hands, told I had nothing broken, given a leaflet, and booted out the door. Good news, then.

Tuesday
Nothing happened. I didn't go to the dojo. My shoulder hurts.

Wednesday
Enough is enough. No training = sad, so I put my running shoes on and jogged up and down the Stratford Road for 12 minutes. The shoulder hurt but not too badly. I can run!
I can drive! Lucy drove us to and from college but when we got back home I decided to test the arm and drove around the block. I made it, but reversing is a painful experience.

Thursday
More running, more healthy eating, no booze. Still losing weight!

Friday
I ran for 12 minutes. I then had oven chips with my salmon but I'm not counting them as junk food because of reasons.

Saturday
The arm felt fairly useful today, and the swelling has gone down slightly. It's starting to go yellow...
I found myself doing simple tasks with my left arm without wincing. I dropped Martha off at Sheldon Country Park and found that driving was getting easier too! Reversing is still painful though, unless I do it two-handed with mirrors like a learner. On the way home, I popped in to see Uncle Jonnie and borrow my Turbo trainer back from him. I have never actually used my turbo before, but was inspired after seeing a pic of RocketDog doing some indoor training. I went home hopeful that I could train in the house without the arm being an issue - surely if there are no corners and no hills, I won't have to use the left arm for much!?
Firstly, I got a run out of the way. It was the best run of the year so far. Only 12 minutes, but a good pace. I started and finished strongly. There was even the hint of a sprint for the last 20 seconds!
After a tin of tuna and a rest, it was time to set up my Elite Crono trainer. I hooked it up to the back of my Specialized, got the bib shorts and cleats on and I was off. I'd selected Haken's second album to listen to because it's over an hour long and I'd be training for at least an hour, right? Wrong! Turbo training is hard! I put the bike in 6th gear on the big ring to start with. After about 2 minutes of this, the legs were turning to jelly! I snapped it down to 5th and then 4th. I could just about hold it in 4th gear for 10 minutes and then dropped on to the little ring! I got back into the big ring a little later but could do no more than 20 minutes! (The main reason I had to give up, however, was that my willy had gone completely numb.) By this time, I was breathing hard, pulling Tommy Voeckler faces and had sweat running off my nose and chin! Awesome! I'll be doing this again.

Sunday - 10st 6lbs

I had a rough night's sleep with the shoulder keeping me awake.
A brisk walk in the park with the dogs cheered me up.
At home, I climbed on to the turbo and managed to thrash out 22 minutes, most of it in the big ring. I ended up sweaty with shaky legs afterwards - must be doing me some good, right?

A terrible photograph of me riding my turbo trainer (with a numb willy)
 
 
Week 3 - No junk food, no booze, exercise on 5 days, lost 1lb.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are turboing for the exercise & not the numb willy!
    25 mins on the turbo makes my legs ache more than 25 miles on the fat bike

    ReplyDelete