. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Week 2 - New rider, new lawnmower

Monday

Lucy and I went across to see our friend and to help her start to sort things at home. I spent some time sorting out a works van and moving all the tools into her garage. It was bloody cold so I was happy to have something to do to keep me moving.

Back at home for some eggs on toast followed by some chicken. I'm consciously trying to increase my protein intake. 

I did an hour-long weights session in the evening and was pleased to set a new personal record for the military press! I'm 50 this year, and still seem to be getting stronger.

For some reason, I had a few beers while cooking and with my dinner!

Weight training, no junkfood, beers


Tuesday

Back to work. I used the car today. It was good to be back in the classroom with my fabulous young people. After lessons, I went home to lift weights while Lucy made a lovely dinner of chicken and pasta.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

I cycled into work and back, then set about some weight lifting. Then I cooked dinner.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

More weights in the evening. Our friend came to stay with us so I had a few drinks with her and Lucy.

Weight training, no junkfood, 3 beers


Friday

Disaster! We think our friend turned off all the downstairs switches last night, and that included the heating programmer. This bit of equipment is ancient and probably came with the house! As a result, it had a major breakdown and refused to turn back on. After getting my spanners out, changing a fuse, taking the thing off the wall, and putting it back on again, I managed to get the electronic display to come back to life, but none of the buttons would respond. We had to go to work, so I left it alone.On the way in, we stopped off at the Gas Centre so I could order a replacement programmer.

After work: weight lifting followed by dinner and beer!

Weight training, no junkfood, booze


Saturday

My friend Mark, who bought the bike from Crazy Ed last weekend, came round on his bicycle at 9am. We headed off into the lanes together. It was very cold - I was wearing two pairs of gloves with hand warmers, and my fingers still went numb! He was riding flat pedals with trainers. We took it easy, stopped for a rest after 9 miles, and then cycled back for a total of 12 miles.

After this, I dropped Lucy at the train station and then headed down to Stratford to pick up a new heating/hot water programmer. Back at home, I managed to get it on the wall and get it working!

In the afternoon, I taught Karate. Back at home, I had a sensible evening before picking up Lucy from the Birmingham International train station.

Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


Sunday

I met up with Jonnie, James and Roger and we cycled out into the lanes at 9am. This was the second of our training rides in preparation for the Mad March Hare sportive. We headed out past Purity brewery, into Temple Grafton and then bombed it down and up past the Blue Boar and into Wilmcote. Although shorter than last week's route, this one involved a couple hundred more feet of climbing. And the latest Mad March Hare route is all about climbing! We kept the pressure on after Wilmcote and we managed to get home in our target average speed.

However, the big news of the day has nothing to do with cycling. Jonnie has a new lawnmower which, in time-honoured tradition, he bought from a bloke in the pub:


After this, I hurtled round to Mark's place so I could pick up his bike. I needed to give it a proper degrease and re-lube so that it would change gears properly. Now it works a treat. I cycled it back round to his place - trouble is, it's far too big for me, so I had to stand up all the way! Then he dropped me home.

Back at home, I felt I deserved a few beers with my dinner!

Cycling, junkfood, beers


No comments:

Post a Comment