. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

How to Lose a Belly When You're 44 (part 23)

Monday
I managed to put 3 pounds of flab back on over the last fortnight.  Maybe these posts should be called How to Maintain a Beergut When You're Middle-aged?
Anyway, it's the first day of the Easter holiday (I have the best job in the world) so I did a bit of boring stuff around the house, put some items up for sale on eBay, and eventually got out for a run. I managed to keep going for just over 3 miles when I found myself slowing to a walk. I had an overpowering feeling of "I just can't be arsed." My legs were aching, I was far too hot and it was one of those times when I lose sight of why I'm training in the first place. I soon got back up to a run but it wasn't long before I was walking again! I carried on like that for the rest of the four and a half miles - yes, I didn't even bother completing the 10K.
Needless to say, I had a beer and felt sorry for myself while making dinner.

Tuesday
I cycled in to work to get some stuff done.
By the time I got to work, my injured arm was throbbing. Sitting at my desk, it was hard to concentrate because of the ache. The shoulder is definitely getting worse, and I don't know why.
I got some exams marked, planned a lesson and then cycled home in a drizzle of rain.
Tonight's session in the dojo was a good one. We started with one of Sensei Russell's proper warm ups and then I volunteered to help some youngsters get through a mock grading. As always, I was impressed by Sensei Gary's ability to inspire (and control!) a group of children. I was eventually put in charge of a group of 5 young people who immediately started to lose focus! I was very glad when Sensei Russell took charge of them!
I got to join in with some mawashi geri pad work before going through a new kata - Bassai Sho.
Martha and I collected Mouse from Rose's house before heading home for fishcakes and green beans with two bottles of stout.

Wednesday
Dodgy Debbie's birthday.
When she arrived, I dropped her and Lucy off at the train station and then went home for some soup. An hour later, I rode off into the glorious sunshine. It was at least 17 degrees with hardly any wind. I was wearing bib shorts instead of tights - my first bare legs ride of 2019! I rode 32 miles with a stop at the bench in Ullenhall. It was the kind of ride that is good for soul as well as the body. The English countryside is beautiful in the warm spring sunshine, and in the silence I felt more in touch with the rhythms of my body, and my body felt more in touch with the rhythm of the bike...
I did my best to keep the pace high but eventually finished with an average speed of 14.8mph. Not too bad, although I did have an average of 15.6mph after 20 miles as I went through Wootton Wawen.
In the evening, after finishing watching all of the first season of One Punch Man with Mouse, I collected Debbie and Lucy from the train station and stayed up late partying with them until the small hours of the morning...

Thursday
Wasted day. Hungover on the couch.

Friday
I walked the dogs and then rearranged the man cave.

The hounds in the park

Lucy had me doing a bit of work in the backgarden - I managed to hang three mirrors on the wall of the house facing the garden. They look nice.

Drilling into housebricks requires some protection...

Saturday

I considered going along to the dojo today. The club was running contests for the kids and handing out chocolate. However, it was 22 degrees and sunny outside so I couldn't face being indoors. I washed my bike in the sunshine on the drive with Montydog helping. I discovered that the back wheel may have some dodgy bearings -it doesn't make a nice noise when freewheeling.
Then I returned to the back garden to read comic books (Avengers vs Thanos from 1973) and drink a beer. I stayed up until 11:30 to meet Martha from work.

Sunday
Jonnie, Roger and I set off on our bicycles at 9am. It was warm enough for just one layer so I had decided to wear my newest piece of cycling gear - the Saddle Black jersey which I had received as a Christmas present. I was feeling good and we kept the pace high. It was a glorious morning and we had an average of 15.5mph when we arrived at Wilmcote for cake.

The new jersey - my favourite beer!
As we consumed tea and homemade cake in the sunshine, we discussed our options - take a longer route back at a leisurely pace, or take our usual route but try to keep the average above 15mph. We decided to go for the fast option!
We were all up for the challenge and we even had a bit of a tailwind to help us along! Roger was in good form and did a lot of work at the head of our little group. Eventually, he dashed off the front to inspire us up the hills. I worked with Jonnie to keep our pace above 15mph. By the time we had conquered Tom Hill, it was obvious we were going to meet our target and stay above 15mph. I suggested to Jonnie that we could try for 15.5mph which I know is his best for this route and would be a new record for me. We put our heads down, got the bikes up over 20mph and managed to get back to his place with an average speed of 15.5mph over 40 miles. Job done!
In the afternoon, Lucy, Martha and I joined Jane and Eric back at Jonnie's place to celebrate Easter together. There was plenty of eating and drinking and we sat outside in the lovely weather. Dave and Becky came to join us as the sun went down. What a splendid end to the first week of my Easter holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment