. .

Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2019

How to Lose a Belly When You're 44 (part 11)

Monday
Weight: 10st 6lbs
Blood Pressure: 155/66
Resting Heart Rate: 42 in bed, 55 after breakfast
Last night, I had a good sleep by wedging myself between two pillows. That way, the pain in my back didn't wake me up when I moved. Of course, this meant that I really struggled to get out of bed because I was so comfortable!
I cycled in to work. I was relieved to find that the student I was worried about on Friday was present in my classroom today. She said she was doing okay.
I cycled back home to cook dinner for the family and to rest the back.
No exercise, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 148/70
Resting Heart Rate: 43 in bed, 57 after breakfast
I cycled in to work. The morning session was awful, the afternoon session was great.
I cycled home.
My back had hurt me only once today when I was leaning over a student to check his work. I think I scared him a little bit with my sudden reaction to the pain!
I cycled home.
Martha and I went along to the dojo. Sensei Gary was in charge and, as a regular reader of Shotokan Cyclist, he wanted to know about my back. He told me not to suffer unnecessarily. I got through the gentle warm up at the start but then, when we moved onto the fast-paced kumite stuff I was aware of an ache...
I was okay working with yellow belt Matt, but when I changed partners and worked with brown belt Justin, I was put under a lot more pressure. Then I suddenly got the electric pain in my lower back and had to pull out. I gave myself a bit of a stretch and then set about supervising some of the youngsters.
With twenty minutes to go, I was put in charge of teaching Heian Godan to a new purple belt. He had never tried the kata before. He's a bright lad and got the hang of it very quickly. We performed the kata at the end of the session. He got though it okay at half speed and my back held up too!
I must admit, the ankle and back were aching after the session, in fact, I'm still aching as I type this just before bed, but I'm so glad I can train again!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 141/72
Resting Heart Rate: 54
I woke up with an aching back, but there were no sharp pains when I got up.
Today, my training plan states that I was meant to do a weight lifting session. With my back the way it is, I didn't think this was a good idea. I decided that a jog would be a more sensible form of exercise.
I cycled in to work and back and then set off for a run. I was moving a little easier tonight. The ankle throbbed and back protested but I managed to keep going for over 23 minutes. I covered 2.2 miles.
I'm getting there.
I got home to cook dinner for the family and daydream about having a glass of ale while reading comic books. Instead, I drank tea and stayed up until 10:30pm planning tomorrow's lesson.
Run, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday

Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 137/68
Resting Heart Rate: 44 in bed, 56 after breakfast
I cycled in to work and back.
The back wasn't aching, but it still didn't feel right. I decided to leave the weight lifting to one side and went for another run, just in case. When I was getting changed I caught sight of myself in the mirror. My gut was protruding outwards, with the running Lycra stretched obscenely over it. I looked like one of those middle-aged men who had left things too late, desperately trying to exercise his beer belly away. Then I realised: that's because I am one.
I managed to run 2.5 miles in 25 minutes and 32 seconds. Not bad for me, slow for anyone else.
Unfortunately, after the run, I was checking the water in Tilly's car when my back pinged again. It was only a small twinge but it let me know that it wasn't healed yet.
I had a healthy dinner and, somehow, didn't sample one of the lovely ales lined up in the kitchen.
Run, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 149/73
Resting Heart Rate: 54
I didn't cycle in to work today. I had to visit two different campuses and then the post office before getting home in time for Karate. So I used a car.
I attended a long and boring meeting in the afternoon (two and half hours with no break.) To make matters worse, the tables were strewn with chocolates and biscuits. I had two satsumas and felt smug.
Tonight's karate session was run by Sensei Ronnie and Sensei Russel. Sensei Ronnie took charge of the higher grades and we did basics followed by some ippon kumite. It was good to gradually get back into things but I was disappointed not to break a sweat. However, as Sensei Paul Hexley once told me - you get fit to go to dojo, you don't go to dojo to get fit.
In the evening, we had homemade meat balls and pasta and then settled back to watch the Solo Star Wars film. It was very entertaining. I pretended to enjoy cups of tea and didn't have a beer.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
Blood Pressure:155/73
Resting Heart Rate: 58
We went cycling today.
It was cold and wet when Jonnie and I set off into the lanes. Unfortunately, it stayed that way for the rest of the morning! Today's target was 35 miles of our Temple Purity route (1900ft of climbing) at an average speed of at least 13.2mph. Of course the rain slowed us down and my descending and cornering really suffered. Jonnie found himself waiting for me a number of times. What was really bothering me, however, was the pain in my right foot: I was wearing my incredibly thick waterproof socks in my rather narrow shoes. My toes were crammed in on top of each other. As we cycled up to Wilmcote, each turn of the pedal resulted in an irritating ache followed by numbness in my toes.
After tea and cake, I changed into thin socks and was instantly more comfortable.
Of course, as soon as wet set off again, the thin cotton socks filled with water and my feet were dramatically cold! I think I preferred this to the pain, however.
The wind was behind us and blew us home. We didn't have much trouble reaching the target speed and we rolled into Jonnie's drive with an average of 13.6mph.
During the ride, I was noticing a wobble on the bike. When Jonnie and I checked, we quickly discovered that my bottom bracket was shot. It was loose and wobbling all over the place. It looks expensive to me...
During cups of tea with Sally, we discussed my high blood pressure. I think it was generally decided that I do all the right things but my blood pressure stubbornly refuses to come down. I'd like to give myself a little bit longer to see what I can do about it before visiting the doctor.
In the afternoon, I went along to the Saturday Karate session. It was great fun as usual - today we were encouraging the youngsters to attack pads in order to develop their confidence and fighting spirit. I was asked to demonstrate and it was very quickly clear that my fitness was not where it was needed to be. I was tired and gasping after only 15 seconds (of course, having 35 miles in the legs didn't help.) Sensei had to use a video to show the youngsters how it should be done. Towards the end, I was put in charge of a group of five and we practised lots of techniques with plenty of spirit.
Sensei Gary then asked me if Martha and I would like to come along to an instructors' training session! (Actually, he told me that we were going to attend!) I went home to tell Martha the exciting news.
In the evening, I cooked a chicken and mushroom curry for Lucy and myself and enjoyed one or two beers! Then off to bed with the Sunday morning alarm set for 6am...
Cycling, Karate, junkfood, beers

Sunday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 162/76
Resting Heart Rate: 51
I struggled out of bed at 6am. It was quite a shock to the system - as my blood pressure shows!
2 hours later, Martha and I were at Cocksmoor Woods leisure centre for the instructors' training session led by Sensei Ronnie Christopher. We were the only non black belts there which was a little nerve-wracking. I don't mind admitting that I was a little anxious when the session started but I soon got hold of myself and started to enjoy the session. We went over the five basic kata with Sensei pointing out the differences that Sensei Dave Hazard wanted us to make. I don't like the idea of changing kata that have been handed down over decades (as Master Funakoshi urges us to "perform kata exactly".) However, the changes that Sensei Hazard has made do make sense in relation to how the body works and actual combat situations. It makes our beloved martial art functional as well as beautiful. After a thoroughly enjoyable hour of kata, we then switched to kumite. I got a little bit lost towards the end but managed to have a good go at most of the techniques. I was kindly partnered by Sensei Russel, Sensie Gary and Sensei Tony. All three of these gentlemen managed to refrain from knocking my head off during the session! I did end up taking a mawashi geri roundhouse kick to the head which resulted in a trickle of blood, but other than that I emerged from the session injury free.
Martha was brilliant.
Not only was she the second youngest there, she was also the only female in the room. I was very proud of her today. She got stuck in and gave it her all in true Karate spirit.


Martha, me, and 12 black belts!

As soon as I got home, it was a rush to get changed and go out again. Today, there was the unveiling of the Cheswick Green War Memorial. Jonnie had been chosen to give a short speech and to cut the ribbon. He was surrounded by dignitaries including the Mayor. He did a fantastic job and made the entire family very proud.
We retired back to the village hall for tea and sandwiches and then back to Jonnie's place for some beer.
I drank one beer with Jonnie and then walked home in the bitter cold. Once thawed out, I set about a weight training session before Jane and Eric came round for dinner.
Hydro was there too, on the scrounge for free food as usual.
Needless to say, I indulged in a few more beers and some pudding!
Karate, weight training, junkfood and alcohol





No comments:

Post a Comment