. .

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 39)

Monday
The familiar story: I woke up feeling rough after a night of debauchery. I have some comfort food. I spend the day on the couch. I drink a few beers to make myself feel better...

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 151/79
Resting Heart Rate: 59
So, here I go again. Determined to shed the belly fat. Determined to earn a black belt in Karate. If I don't do it in the next 12 months will I ever be able to do it?
I woke up with an aching back. I put it down to not doing much yesterday, I spent most of Monday lying down!
I started well by not having any booze or junkfood and by going along to tonight's Karate lesson.
My blood pressure is obviously a cause for concern but I reckon I'll have it under control within a matter of weeks.
Karate, no alcohol, no junkfood.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 7lbs
Blood Pressure: 137/78
Resting Heart Rate: 62
I cycled in to work! Yep, we're back at work after a lovely summer break.
My back was sore again but eased off as the day went on.
In the evening, I did a weight lifting session but, as has become the norm, I failed on my barbell curls. My forearms feel useless, like they belong to someone else.
Weight training, no alcohol, no junkfood.

Thursday
Weight: 10st 6lbs
Blood Pressure: 151/70
Resting Heart Rate: 56
The back is bad. Really bad. There was a point when I was walking up the stairs this morning when I didn't think it was good idea to go into work. Strangely, when I was bent over the bike cycling down the A34, the back was fine! I spent the vast majority of the day sitting down which felt better. The back only hurt when I tried to stand up straight.
Obviously, I didn't do any exercise today.
No exercise, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
Weight: 10st 6lbs
Blood Pressure: 139/74
Resting Heart Rate: 56
I cycled in to work and back. The back felt better. I went along to the Karate session and did some kata and fighting. My kata seemed good, my fighting could be better.
Back at home, I did enjoy 2 beers but I managed to resist any junkfood!
Karate, no junkfood, 2 beers

Saturday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 141/77
Resting Heart Rate: 55
I bounced out of bed, had a healthy breakfast and met up with Jonnie and Nigel on the bikes.
Nigel hasn't done much riding this year but is signed up for the Tommy Godwin Challenge in September. This could be a recipe for disaster but Nigel is determined to get cycle-fit for the event. We set off intending to do a 30 mile there-and-back route. However, Nigel didn't seem to be having any issues keeping up so I led us out along part of our Purity Route and then joined up with the Coughton Route to take us into Wilmcote.
Nigel did really well and before we knew it, we were faced with the Billesley Wall - a very steep, short sharp shock of a climb that has a gradient of 28% in the middle! I shot up it but found it really brutal on the legs - when I looked down I noticed that I was still in the big ring! Nigel found it hard going but soon caught up with us as we approached the cake stop.
We had a very leisurely tea break with Jane and Eric. The cake was wonderful as usual and everyone was in good form.
Back in the lanes, Jonnie and I took turns on the front through Aston Cantlow. With about 10 miles to go, it was obvious that Nigel was having comfort issues. This will happen if you spend some time away from the bike. The parts of you that need to be tough get soft again, and then the saddle bites hard! He also told me about the pains in his knees. He faces a battle to get ready for the Tommy, but I know that he'll give it 100%.
We sprinted up Creynolds Lane in time for tea at Jonnie's place. I had to leave almost straight away to eat some protein (eggs and beans!) and then head off to dojo. It was great to ride with my two amigos once again!
This afternoon's Karate session was a memorable one: it was the last time that Sensei Jody would train with us for the foreseeable future. He and his family are moving abroad on Friday.
Sensei Gary asked Sensei Jody to take the session. After I'd taken the warm-up (which was rubbish because I hadn't planned anything) Jody ran us through basics followed by an intense fitness workout on the heavy bag. At one point, I was doing sit ups underneath the bag and hitting it every time I came up. Exhausting! It's probably the hardest I've ever had to work at Ruach!
It was a hell of a way to say goodbye.
Sensei Jody has changed things at the club. His passion and unique sense of humour have resulted in him making lots of good friends at Ruach. I know that many of us are in awe of his abilities and are always eager to train with him. I've learnt from him every single time I've been partnered with him. I've learnt hard lessons - such as when he refuses to move during ippon kumite because I'm not hitting him hard enough, and I've learnt valuable lessons - he taught me Enpi in those few minutes we have before the start of each session. He inspires confidence, discipline and respect in every lesson he attends. He'll be sorely missed by the club and especially by the lucky few of us that he took under his wing. We'll miss his enthusiasm and his insane grin which he occasionally flashed at the club, usually after he had just injured me! Whichever club he ends up at in Denmark will be very fortunate to have him.
At the end of the his last session, Sensei Jody presented me with something very precious. I'm not going to mention what it is at this stage, but I will hopefully be in a position to write about it this time next year...
Thank you, Sensei. Oss!

Sensei Jody, in medal-winning form.
I had a few beers in the evening.
Karate, junkfood, three beers


Sunday
Weight: 10st 6lbs
Blood Pressure: 150/81
Resting Heart Rate: 55
Today's Karate session was very tame compared with yesterday's. Sensei Ronnie had us doing pad work for two hours. He demonstrated each move carefully and made sure everyone was performing correctly. He spent a lot of time with us.
I didn't break a sweat but I think I learned a lot.
Hydro irritated me while I was trying to write this blog.

Hi all, if you wanted to know what Smallman smells like, it's farts. bahhhhhhhhh.

Thanks for that, Hydro.
We had a big dinner at home with plenty of beer and pudding!
Karate, junkfood, three beers.




No comments:

Post a Comment