. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 3, 2017

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 37)

Monday
It's a bank holiday and the weather is gorgeous!
In the morning, I gave a second coat of paint to the four dining chairs in the back garden. I worked without a shirt on and ended up getting sunburn on my shoulders and the back of my neck (although I didn't realise this yet.)
After a banana for lunch, I jumped on to the bike at about 2pm. This was my fourth ride in as many days and my legs felt like lead weights. It was one of those rides when you're almost convinced that the brakes must be sticking. I just couldn't get up to speed! I can't blame it all on the heat - I'm simply not as fit as I used to be.
Most worrying was the noise coming from the bike. A well-serviced bike should be silent (loud rear hubs are an exception) but I could definitely detect a sort of rubbing/whirring noise coming up from my machine. I'm half convinced that it's the bottom bracket. However, with the bike upside down and spinning the pedals, I couldn't hear a thing.
By the time I got to Wilmcote I was a sweaty tired mess and my average was an embarrassing 13.9mph. I restored myself with another banana, some homemade cake and a terrible cup of tea. After re-tuning Jane's car stereo, I clambered back on the Specialized determined to get the average back above 14mph.
I tried to keep the pressure on during the ride home but often caught myself daydreaming in the quiet heat of the lanes. I woke up at the foot of the Danzey Green Lane Climb and laid down the V. I managed to get a gold cup on Strava!
High Cross route solo: 35.7mph at 14.2mph.
Back at home, I applied the final coat of paint to the chairs while sipping a beer.
They may have been a couple more beers and some chocolate ice cream after dinner...

Tuesday
I was on the late enrolment shift today so I had the morning to myself. I took the opportunity to do an hour's lifting. I lifted heavier than I have since March, but still not a heavily as I did before my injury. The arm was still painful during light curls.
After my second breakfast, I jumped on my bike and cycled in to work. I was very sluggish on the bike today - I'm not sure if this is because I've done 4 bike rides in 4 days, or because of the lifting session this morning. Probably a combination of both.
I cycled home at 7pm and had a healthy dinner.
No junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday

Cycled to work and back and then did a lifting session before dinner. I lifted ever so slightly heavier than yesterday.
I'm still eating healthily but I'm getting really hungry. I had a bowl of Shreddies before bed!
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday

I jumped on the scales this morning and was disappointed to learn that since I rebooted my training 10 days ago I've actually put weight ON! I tried to convince myself that it was muscle!
Oh well. I cycled in to work determined to do better.
After a day of healthy eating and being hungry, I cycled home and got ready for this week's 10K run. I set off quite prepared to lope round in 68 minutes or so but soon realised that I was travelling faster than that. At the half way point I was still on for a decent time (for me) so I dug in a little bit to try to maintain it. I eventually finished, feeling strong, with a time of 62m 55s. A slow time for most people, but a decent time for a little fat bloke who hates running!
After dinner, I accidentally sipped most of a bottle of red wine.
No junkfood.
In the evening, I was flicking through Facebook before I went to bed and I came across an advert for Go Sober for October raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support. Without really thinking about it too much, I signed up! I'm excited about raising money for MacMillan and about what a month without alcohol will do for my health and fitness. All I need now is to reach my £100 target. You can help me to get there by donating through my Soberhero profile here. Thanks!
I think that going a month without even a sip of my beloved real ale will prove harder than any of my sponsored runs or cycle rides. Wish me luck!

Friday
September. I will be 43 this month. It's highly unlikely that I'll lose my belly in 4 weeks so I guess I failed to meet the target I set for myself when I named this blog. Oh well, the only sensible thing to do is try harder and rename it How to Lose a Belly When You're 43...
After a terrible night's sleep, I cycled in to work, ate healthily, cycled home and then went to dojo. It was a fighting based lesson where I was eventually partnered with Martha. It was a slow technical lesson that didn't really get going so I didn't break a sweat. I'm sure it was very good for the development of my Karate skills, but I do prefer fast and furious lessons!
Home for a healthy vegetarian pasta dinner followed by 2 bottles of ale.
No junkfood

Saturday
A full-on training day. I started by taking the dogs out for a walk in the lovely warm sunshine. After a light lunch, I went to the afternoon Karate session at the Village Hotel in Shirley. Sensei Mark was covering the class for Sensei Gary. He started off with a mostly old-school lesson working on basic fighting techniques concentrating on covering distances. At the end, we did some heavy bag work - something we definitely don't do enough of! The only blemish to a good afternoon's training was some random bloke who put on a pair of boxing gloves and started pacing up and down at the back of our dojo! One of the black belts suggested he wait outside so he stood just outside the doorway watching us. Strange chap.
I ate healthily all day. I cooked lamb's liver for dinner. Liver is actually classed as a superfood, it's so good for you! I also had some lovely green beans fresh from Lucy's garden. Awesome training food!
In the evening, I had nothing stronger than tea.
No junkfood, no booze.

Sunday
I woke up very excited, like a kid on Christmas Day! Today was going to be full of mates, bikes, cakes and beer. Some of very favourite things!
Dan and Fast Ant arrived just after Russ, and after handshakes all round we headed off to call for Jonnie. There has been much discussion about what to wear on today's ride because the weather promised to be very changeable. Fast Ant, probably the most experienced road cyclist of the lot of us, was dressed like a complete noob: two cotton shirts and some canvas shorts! Most of us opted for two layers (base layer and jersey) and Jonnie sensibly added a rain jacket too.
Jonnie was still feeling the effects of a very necessary marathon drinking session at the weekend and started cautiously. I was cold so I was pushing up the average from the word go in an effort to get warm. Jonnie soon cruised past me as soon as we started descending, however! By the time we reached Ullenhall we decided to relax the pace a little and the chatting started. 
Unfortunately, not long after that, the rain started. This made my descending even worse as it has been quite a while since I'd ridden on wet roads. I struggled to stay on the wheels on the approach to the Purity Brewery but as soon as the road turned upwards I could catch up.
The road through Binton is a steady climb for 1.5 miles. I got on the front and dragged the lads up there and I'm pleased to report that we got some gold Strava cups for our efforts. By now, we were riding in the wind and rain and really looking forward to some tea and cake! 
The tea stop was most welcome but unfortunately, sitting in wet clothes meant that we got colder instead of warming up. It had been Dan's birthday this week and it's Russ' birthday tomorrow. Jane the cakemaker had stuck a candle in her lemon cake by way of celebration. I, of course, had the coffee cake.
It wasn't too long before we were back on the bikes. The first section was downhill and the windchill factor was almost painful through the wet clothes. As Jonnie pointed out, today was one of the few times I'd ridden WITHOUT a rain jacket!
After exerting ourselves on the Gospel Oak Lane climb (0.3 miles, 100ft) we had warmed up sufficiently to enjoy the ride again. We cruised along the High Cross route in reverse while discussing Game of Thrones (the pros and cons of shagging one's auntie.)
Near Claverdon Station, a driver of an old Capri let us know his displeasure with having to share a road with us. A dickhead like that shouldn't be allowed to have a class motor. Soon afterwards, a driver stopped to ask us directions. Jonnie inadvertently sent him in the wrong direction and we set off again.
There is a very steep downhill section from High Cross to the road leading into Lowsonford. I don't like it, especially on wet roads, and I took it very easy today. This meant that I was quite a way off the back when heading up to Lapworth. Jonnie knew that there was no need to wait for me because I'd claw the time back on the hills, but Russ didn't know this and he stopped to see if I was okay! What a nice fella. With lovely bar tape.
Eventually, we were on the approach to Jonnie's place and I reminded everyone that it's traditional to have a sprint for the line! Dan went off very early, I tried to follow and Fast Ant sped off too. Dan made a very good effort but couldn't hold off Fast Ant who won the day. Russ came up alongside me but gave up when he saw the top of the hill (his words!)
We got back to Jonnie's congratulating each other on a grand ride and then set about comparing Strava results whilst drinking Purity ales. 


Energy drinks by Purity
Today, it was obvious that Fast Ant is still the fastest and fittest road cyclist I know. Dan has lost none of his strength and speed, and Russ has trained himself into a fine rider. Earlier this weekend, Jonnie had sacrificed his fitness to support a mate going through a dark time. 
And I was just the little guy at the back, loving it as usual!
What was also obvious is that friends can still be good mates even though we don't see each other as often as we used to.


Russ, me, Uncle Jonnie, Deadly Dan, Fast Ant (and Teddy the dog)
Back at home, I refuelled with water and homemade frittata and did an hour of ironing while watching Star Trek Voyager.
Needless to say, the rest of the evening was given over to cake, Lucy's fabulous cooking and beer!




No comments:

Post a Comment