. .

Search This Blog

Monday, June 19, 2017

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 30)

Monday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Well, I met my target: I managed to lose a pound of flab last week. I feel I let myself down, however. If I'd shown a bit more willpower after the bike ride, not drank all those beers, and gone to the dojo instead, I may have lost a little more flab.
Today, I cycled in to work and back, didn't drink booze, ate healthily and did a weight lifting session. The session was slightly heavier than last week's.


Tuesday
I had to stand in for someone in a meeting at the last minute. That meant that I didn't have chance to have a shower and get changed when I got home. I leapt off the bike and Martha and I jumped in the car and went to the dojo. I was in my cycling gear, complete with dirt and oil stains. Martha had a really gruelling sweaty Karate session led by Sensei Julian Cunningham (5 times British Champion!)
I settled down to watch the session but was immediately recruited by Sensei Gary! He asked me to take 9 students through their grading kata (Bassai Dai.) I had to teach in my bare unwashed feet, filthy cycling shorts and a skin-tight base layer so everyone could see my belly wobbling. Embarrassing wasn't the word... However, before the hour was up, I had forgotten what I was wearing and just concentrated on doing my best for the karateka that were relying on me to guide them through the kata. I really enjoyed it!
Back home, Martha made herself some dinner and I did a weight lifting session. This time, I kept the weight the same as yesterday.
No booze, no junkfood, cycled to work and back.


Wednesday
I have to drive on Wednesdays. After 13 hours at work I get home at 9:30pm. I didn't do any exercise but I did eat healthily and avoided booze.

Thursday
I cycled to work and back, didn't eat any junkfood , didn't drink alcohol, but I did do a weights session! A good day's training!


Friday
We had a meeting at Bordesley Green today. It was a nice day so I decided to cycle there and back. The traffic on a Friday afternoon in Birmingham is awful so my speed was rather tame. I covered just under 17 miles at 12.9mph. At home, I ate healthily and then enjoyed the first beer of the week. Jonnie, Lucy, Sally and I went along to Nigel's 50th birthday party and, needless to say, I got a bit inebriated!

Saturday
Scorching hot day!
I woke up feeling absolutely awful but still managed to do some jobs: replace a broken microswitch on the car, clean the bathroom, parcel up some stuff for eBay etc.
I didn't manage to do any exercise, however. 
In the evening, we celebrated Eric's 80th birthday with a few beers and Chinese food in Jonnie's backgarden.

Sunday
Another scorcher!

The boys climbing - note Nigel in the drug-fuelled Armstrong jersey. Retro!

Jonnie, Nigel and I cycled out to Wilmcote via the Honiley Route. We extended the route to include a lot of the Shrewley Route. In total, we cycled almost 38 miles in 29 degrees heat at around 14.8mph.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself and managed to get a few PRs on Strava. Jonnie was in fine form and spent a lot of the ride home out in front. Nigel suffered in the heat but, as he pointed out, he always makes it up every climb! I rode with Nigel, Jonnie eventually waited for us and then we cruised back at a comfortable 16mph or so. In the sprint, Jonnie and I were neck and neck over the line! It was the best sprint we've ever done.
Ready to leave the cake stop

Nigel very sensibly drank some pop and then headed home. I stayed longer and spent most of the afternoon drinking Jonnie's beer in his backgarden! So once again, I failed to show any willpower after the bike ride and I didn't go to dojo.

In the lanes on the way home - Jonnie and me enjoying the sunshine.

In the evening, back at home, I manned the barbecue and drank a GnT and an ale. I ate lots of naughty food too.


I think I'm going to look like a bit of a fat bastard on the beach again this year...






No comments:

Post a Comment