. .

Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

The Birmingham 10K - How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 28)

I thought my preparation for the Mad March Hare was bad - this was worse...


The night before the Birmingham 10K was the big Joshua vs Klitschko fight live on Sky Sports Box Office. (My brother had CYCLED up from London to watch it with me before we ran the 10K in the morning!) I had invited a few select friends and family to watch it with us and they all turned up! We managed to squeeze everyone into our small front room and then the beer and wine came out...


In the morning, after a late night with a few beers and a glass of wine, I was rather fuzzy-headed. Just like last year, Lucy and the girls came with us to cheer us on (remembering to stop off at Costa on the way so Sid could get his caffeine fix.) It was warmer than last year but Sid and I were taking no chances - he was wearing two base layers under his Cancer Research top while I was wearing a hat, gloves, Buff scarf and the plastic cape from Cancer Research! After a wee in the bushes, we lined up at the start to listen to terrible chart music and a man in some form of costume shouting intelligibly into a loudhailer. After attempting to stretch in a crowd of runners, with my hangover in full effect, I was nowhere near ready. But then we were off...

At the start line

Sid kept a very careful watch on our time and pace - he was still determined to finish the course in under an hour. I had explained to him beforehand that I was in no condition to run 10K in under an hour - I hadn't managed it even once in training. At the 3K mark he was trying to urge me on, to up the pace a little, even as I was explaining to him that I had no desire to do it, and that I couldn't do it...


The route this year took us through Canon Hill Park, which is a very pretty and well-maintained park opposite the Edgbaston Cricket Ground. It was here that I realised I was warm enough so off came the cape, gloves, scarf and hat. My brother stopped off for a wee at the cricket ground so I ambled on and grabbed a bottle of water from the stewards.


As some may remember from last year, when Sid and I run past Lucy and the girls, we like to make fools of ourselves. Last year, we did some press ups in the street when we reached them (and then carried on to run the 10K in under an hour!) This year, I didn't really feel up to any additional exercise so Sid, hero that he is, invited me to leap on his back to be carried past my mad family. The girls were doing a great job of encouraging everyone taking part in the race.

This 10K running lark is easy!

Shortly afterwards, spurred on by my girls, I decided to try for the hour after all. Sid explained that we had a bit of time to make up if we wanted to finish in less than 60 minutes. For the last 5K, we pushed on hard, running past dozens of people in an effort to reach our target. I was bright red and sweating profusely by the time we got in the home straight but it was clear by then that we'd make it. Still, being able to get round in less than an hour, after convincing myself that it was impossible, was an awesome feeling. As usual, it was all down to Sid who never gave up on me.


Victorious and back at home. Before Sid's toe fell apart.
After lots of water and two of the free protein drinks they were handing out, I felt great by the time we got home. Sid, however, was suffering with his feet. After 130 miles on the bike followed by a quick 10K, he was in a bit of discomfort. In fact, later on that afternoon while I was under Tilly's car trying to get its exhaust to stop rattling, Sid came out of the house holding his big toe nail. The whole nail...


Later on, Lucy and I met with Nigel and Penny for a drink or two at the pub. Sid was too tired to venture out so he spent the evening playing MarioKart with the girls and having a makeover...


Next year, I intend to run it again, this time with the family! Lucy and the girls were so inspired by the efforts of the thousands of people running the Birmingham 10K that they have decided to take part themselves.

Watch this space!















No comments:

Post a Comment