. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2017

How to lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 17)

Monday
Weight: 10st 11lbs
Blood Pressure: 136/75
Resting Heart Rate: 49

My last day of freedom before I'm back at work.

I cycled into Shirley and then Solihull to spend some of my vouchers on new footwear for use with my weekend bike. I chose lightweight shoes that seem warm and comfortable and should slip in and out of the toe clips easily. They look absolutely ridiculous.

Back at home, I found myself almost constantly staring at the bowl of chocolates in the front room, or my beer collection in the kitchen. I must have been grazing on so much junk over the last month or so.

In the afternoon I did a weights session and was surprised to learn that I could lift as much as I could in November! I guess 5 weeks of beer and rubbish food doesn't affect my strength too badly...

I found it difficult to resist a beer in the evening. I've settled in front of the TV with a beer every night for the last month. Tonight, I had a cup of tea and went to bed early instead.
No alcohol, no junkfood.

Exercise

About 5 miles on the bike
100 push ups
100 triceps dips
100 Leg raises
Side raises (6.5kg): 5 sets of 5 reps
Front raises (8): 5x5
Barbell curls (37): 5x5
Dumbell curls (17): 5x5
Military press (29): 5x5
Squats (37): 5x5

Food

2 slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
1 glass of pineapple juice
Cup of redbush tea
Bowl of homemade vegetable and brie soup
1 slice of wholemeal toast
Homemade Chinese chicken and vegetable stir fry with egg fried rice.

Alcohol 

None


Tuesday
Getting up for work was hard. I like my job, but waking up in the dark to go out in the cold is very difficult when you haven't had to do it for nearly 3 weeks.
I cycled in this morning, but I was coughing and spluttering as I did so.
I got through the day with fruit and nuts instead of mince pies and chocolates.
I drank loads of water and found myself visiting the toilet at the end of every lesson! Detox!
On the ride home, I realised that I felt something I hadn't felt in ages: hunger.
Martha and I went to dojo only to find that the session wasn't on. I guess we really should start to read the newsletters.
When I got home, I did a weights session instead. It wasn't heavier than yesterday's, but I substituted 2 dumbbell exercises for 2 barbell ones.

Training fuel
I had two helpings of dinner but I'm still going to bed hungry:  feels great!
No alcohol, no junkfood.

Exercise

Cycled in to work and back (9.2 miles)
100 push ups
100 triceps dips
100 Leg raises
Shrugs (48kg): 5 sets of 5 reps
Front raises (8): 5x5
Barbell curls (37): 5x5
Deadlifts (54): 5x5
Military press (29): 5x5
Squats (37): 5x5

Food

2 slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
1 glass of pineapple juice
Cup of redbush tea
1 satsuma
Handful of mixed nuts and raisins
Homemade bolognese with wholewheat pasta and salad leaves
Cup of Earl Grey tea

Alcohol 

None


Wednesday
I have to drive in to work on Wednesdays - too many folders to transport to the Handsworth campus on my bike.
I was hungry all day.
My quadriceps are still burning from the deadlifts and squats last night: today,
I had difficulty stooping down to pick up my bag.
I found that my detox continues - I was visiting the toilet at the end of each lesson and twice at lunch time. I remembered to drink plenty of water.
Back at home, I got changed and headed out for a 10 kilometre run. I was well aware of my sore legs but kept pushing on anyway. I completed the slowest 10k I've ever done - 70 minutes!
At home, my legs were aching so much it was funny, I now have trouble getting up from a chair.
I went to bed hungry for the second night in a row.

Exercise
10 kilometre run: 70minutes 3seconds

Food

2 slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
1 glass of pineapple juice
Cup of redbush tea
Handful of mixed nuts and raisins
2 bananas
Half a pint of milk
2 breaded plaice fillets with green beans, tomatoes and noodles.
Cup of coffee

Alcohol

None


Thursday

I woke up with aching legs.
This morning, I read a blog from my good friend and cycling nut Nigel. You can read it here: Diary of a MAMIL. It made me question the amount of cardio I'm doing. Maybe I could reduce the weightlifitng and increase the running, at least until I've shed some flab?
At college, I took the sports group through a warm up and joined them for two laps of circuit training. During the warm up, I noticed that I couldn't run very well: my right foot and ankle were aching so badly it was painful to put that foot on the ground.
The circuit was made up of 10 separate exercises such as bench step-ups, running with a 15kg bag, skipping, and medicine ball jump shots. We did each exercise for 30 seconds with 10 seconds in between for the change over. We performed the whole circuit twice.
After the session, it was even more painful to move about.
Cycling home was fine: the ache in my foot was gone as soon as I took my weight off it. However, I was limping severely for the rest of the night and found myself standing on one leg during tonight's Dungeons and Dragons session (I do too much 'acting' to be a sit-down Dungeon Master.)
After I'd dropped my players home, I covered my ankle in Deep Heat and put it up on a foot stool - Heavenly!
No alcohol, no junkfood.

Exercise
Cycled to work and back
Circuit training

Food

2 slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
1 glass of pineapple juice
2 x cups of redbush tea
Handful of mixed nuts and raisins
2 bowlfuls of homemade tuna and pasta bake.

Alcohol

None


Friday

When I woke up, the foot wasn't much better. I cycled in to work okay (in my new ridiculous disco slippers) but as soon as I got off the bike, the pain came back.
I took my ESOL group to the sportshall to spend an hour playing football. I didn't join in, but just being the referee didn't do me much good - I found myself standing on one leg for most of it!
After work, I cycled home in the rain.
Dinner was a rushed bowl of homemade beef chili with brown rice.
This evening, Lucy, Penny, Nigel and I went to a pub quiz. Nigel and I refrained from any alcohol and merely watched as the ladies consumed cider and wine. They even had homemade cakes for sale which I managed to resist. I made a pint of tap water last all evening.
We came second from last!
In bed at midnight.
I was limping a bit tonight but not as badly as yesterday. When sitting or cycling, the foot doesn't hurt at all.

Exercise
Cycled to work and back

Food

2 slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
1 glass of apple and mango juice
3 cups of redbush tea
Last night's leftover tuna pasta bake.
Banana
Handful of nuts
Homemade beef chili with brown rice

Alcohol

None


Saturday

Up at 7:30 for some road riding with Jonnie and Nigel. Today was the first ride of our new training plan which we put together to prepare us for the Mad March Hare. Today's target was a soft one, just to get the legs moving after the excesses of the festive period: ride a 30 mile route to Wilmcote and back at 13.0mph.
It was a miserable, but not cold, morning: grey clouds, drizzle and wet roads. No wind, however.
We set a good pace and were cruising at a 15.0mph average as we neared Wilmcote. The wet conditions were beginning to affect me, however, and I was starting to get rather cold...
At Wilmcote, we were met with disaster - the boiler had broken down and the house was cold! We enjoyed hot tea and homemade cake but my wet clothes were gradually reducing my body temperature. We needed to get back out there.
When we set off, I discovered I had a problem with the bike computer (water in the connections.) The lads were determined to continue so I asked them to ride at a steady 14mph and I'd catch them up.
For some reason, they ignored my request and just sped off up the lanes! Maybe it was my aftershave...Anyway, this meant I had to put in a huge solo effort of 19mph through Aston Cantlow to try to catch them. At least it warmed me up!
For the rest of the ride, however, we rode together, supporting each other on the climbs and riding as a breakaway on the flats. I'm pleased to report that we all came home with a 14.4mph average speed. A good result for the first ride of the year.
Once off the bike, I dropped Martha and her friend onto Solihull and then set about getting Lucy's car ready for it's MOT. I changed two windscreen wipers and put three new bulbs in.
In the evening, as I was just about to step into the shower, I experienced a sudden pain that spread through my chest and into my neck. It was a bit worrying but then I remembered that worrying doesn't help anything. I guess I must have pushed things a little too hard on the bike today?
Anyway, the pain eventually went away after about 20 minutes. I had a shower and then convinced Lucy to join me on the couch. I had a couple of beers while watching TV...

Exercise
Ride: 29 miles at 14.4mph

Food

2 slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter
1 glass of apple and mango juice
Cup of redbush tea
2 chocolate covered Brazil nuts
2 slices of homemade cake
2 cups of Earl Grey tea
Chicken with sweet potato fries and salad

Alcohol

2 stouts
1 ale

Sunday

Resting Heart Rate: 46
I woke up with a pain in my chest. I waited for it to go away and then got up. I must have really put the effort in on the bike yesterday!
My resting heart rate is already lower than it has been for over a month. I love training!
After breakfast, Lucy and I took some of the kids to help run our tabletop sale which we do to raise funds for Mouse's Ecuador trip.
There was an abundance of tempting foods, cakes and bacon sandwiches on offer, which I managed to resist even though Harry was literally holding a chocolate brownie under my nose!
At home, I cracked and had homemade cake with a cup of tea.
I did an afternoon lifting session. I didn't lift any heavier than earlier in the week but I made sure I didn't lift any less. I scoffed leftover chicken straight afterwards - great source of protein.
In the evening, Jane and Eric came to tea. We had loads of lovely food including homemade pudding and I had a few beers! 

Exercise

100 push ups
100 triceps dips
100 Leg raises
Side raises (6.5kg): 5 sets of 5 reps
Front raises (8): 5x5
Barbell curls (37): 5x5
Dumbell curls (17): 5x5
Military press (29): 5x5
Squats (37): 5x5

Food

Cornflakes with Semi-skimmed milk
1 glass of apple and mango juice
Cup of redbush tea
Cup of Earl Grey tea
Homemade cake
Bowl of leftover chicken
Homemade shepherd's pie with vegetables and Yorkshire pudding.
Homemade apple and blackcurrant pie with ice cream

Alcohol

3 bottles of ale

Summary:
5 days of exercise
5 days of healthy eating
5 days sober.
Not a bad start. I'm already feeling much better than I did last month. 
It was good to see that Nigel and Jonnie stayed sober in the week too. The Mad March Hare is such a hard ride which makes it a great training target. It's easier to train for it when I know my buddies are doing the same.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't understand what you meant when we left Jane's sorry. I burnt off when I got to the bottom of the hill from Jane's and quickly dropped Jonnie - I needed to warm up and had decided to stop on the t junction just past Aston Cantlow. I suffered on the Sunday ride - was slower than the Saturday ride, having said that we went to Warwick, Leamington and Kenilworth all in the same day - Parrack loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the plan - I want the 15mph average this summer.

    ReplyDelete